Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   SSNL Drawing Hands, seems to be a common spot for me lately (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=398239)

12-14-2005 10:40 AM

SSNL Drawing Hands, seems to be a common spot for me lately

Hey all, there are two hands I played from last night.

Playing heads up, I have 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], first to act after a flop of 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

My opponent raised PF, so I expect him to make a pot-sized bet. My plan is to check/raise him all in, figuring that he'd lay down ace high overcards at least 30% of the time.

Hand two:
I have 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
In a shorthanded game. I have a big stack at this table too and a guy in early MP raises about 3xBB. He has a full buyin and is sort of loose, but will know when to lay down a hand, so I call, thinking I can either extract his stack with a good flop, or get him to lay down his overcards.

Flop: 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

He makes a potsized bet and I raise him for about 3/4 of the rest of his chips. He pushes, and I pretty much pot commit myself.

Are these -EV situations for me?

beavens 12-14-2005 11:14 AM

Re: SSNL Drawing Hands, seems to be a common spot for me lately

hand 1: i wouldnt push with only an OESD.

hand 2: instacall.

12-14-2005 12:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

For hand one, I counted a backdoor flush and if he only has overcards, then I can also spike a pair to take the pot, so I think (on average) I have more outs than just an OESD.

For hand two, I'm obviously committed after he RR me, but how many people make the initial raise in the first place? I figure the money is only going in, in the case where he has a strong king. Even if he has AK without the ace of hearts, it's basically a coinflip, with a slight edge to me.

beavens 12-14-2005 12:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

For hand one, I counted a backdoor flush and if he only has overcards, then I can also spike a pair to take the pot, so I think (on average) I have more outs than just an OESD.

For hand two, I'm obviously committed after he RR me, but how many people make the initial raise in the first place? I figure the money is only going in, in the case where he has a strong king. Even if he has AK without the ace of hearts, it's basically a coinflip, with a slight edge to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

meh, i guess i'm too weaktight to play hand 1 like you.

and for hand 2 i think you'll see everyone on this forum advise to raise and push to a 3bet.

tripp0807 12-14-2005 12:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

8 mostly clean outs (OESD)...6 potential outs (pairing your cards)...1 out (backdoor flush draw)

People seriously over-rely on backdoor flush draws. They're 24-1 against.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

When he RR's you, beat him in the pot. I like how you played this.

unlucky513 12-14-2005 12:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

what king are you talking about?? you're way ahead of everything cept a set and a higher flush draw. you played it fine (assuming you called his push)

12-14-2005 12:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Hand two:
I have 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
In a shorthanded game. I have a big stack at this table too and a guy in early MP raises about 3xBB. He has a full buyin and is sort of loose, but will know when to lay down a hand, so I call, thinking I can either extract his stack with a good flop, or get him to lay down his overcards.

Flop: 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

He makes a potsized bet and I raise him for about 3/4 of the rest of his chips. He pushes, and I pretty much pot commit myself.

[/ QUOTE ]

FIXING ONE HAND

Now, should I play this aggressively again?

On the first hand that I talked about, I wasn't exactly counting the backdoor flush, but I thought it added a few percentages to my share of the pot in the long run, tipping the scales in my favor if it's a coinflip sitation.

Fallen Hero 12-14-2005 12:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Hand two:

Flop: 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

FIXING ONE HAND

Now, should I play this aggressively again?

On the first hand that I talked about, I wasn't exactly counting the backdoor flush, but I thought it added a few percentages to my share of the pot in the long run, tipping the scales in my favor if it's a coinflip sitation.

[/ QUOTE ]

i still intacall

12-14-2005 12:59 PM

I don't think anyone argues against insta-calling, but should I raise him here to represent the king and take down the pot?