Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Micro-Limits (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   the elusive triple-donk (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=396345)

tyler_cracker 12-11-2005 07:40 PM

the elusive triple-donk

Just sat down a couple orbits ago. I don't have a good read on SB, but he does weird things. I saw him raise/fold the turn a few hands ago on a board where i couldn't figure out any logical reason for a raise/fold.

Hero has QQ UTG and raises. 5 callers.

Flop (12 SB): 9 8 3 rainbow (6 players)

SB BETS, Hero RAISES, 2 callers, SB calls.

Turn (11 BB): 5 (4 players)

SB BETS, Hero RAISES, 2 callers, SB calls.

River (19 BB): 3 (4 players)

SB BETS, Hero RAISES, 2 folds, SB calls.

Preflop and flop are standard, obviously.

On the turn, i thought maybe i could protect my hand from 1-pairs and gutshots.

On the river, i figured his most likely holding was two pair and i could now beat two pair (unless he had a 3). Should i have just called and invited overcalls behind me?

In your experience, what does the triple-donk mean, anyway?

cold_cash 12-11-2005 07:56 PM

Re: the elusive triple-donk

I'd just call the river.

You'll probably win another bet from the SB but nobody is folding a better hand behind you and it's tough for a worse one to call two bets as opposed to one.

It also sucks if the SB 3-bets you.

You can also save a bet when it goes bet/call/raise/3-bet.

detruncate 12-11-2005 08:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends who does it. A LAG is usually just giving you lots of chance to fold since he's likely to find a raise or 3-bet somewhere with a strong hand. A passive player usually has a hand and/or improved on the river -- lots of sets or better, sometimes TP that made 2 pair on the river, occasionally just TP (it's fairly common for a passive player with a strong TP hand he likes to bet/call the flop and donk the turn UI, especially if he perceives you to be bluffy and/or overly aggressive, but far less common for him to also donk the river UI).

I just call the river donk if it had blanked, but I like the raise as is given your "does weird things" read.

PokerSlut 12-11-2005 09:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I would put them on TP normally. However, I recently had a guy cap the betting on every street three handed with 9-high for no apparent reason. That was an exceptional case, but I seem to regularly get up against players who just like to jam every street regardless of their cards. Their strategy is actually fairly successful for a while on the weak-tight tables because they tend to pick up a lot of pots uncontested.

DCWildcat 12-11-2005 10:37 PM

A triple donk is odd. I'm warily calling the river; no worse hand will fold behind you, so overcalls are ok even in this large pot.

jdd12 12-12-2005 12:01 AM

I usually end up seeing top pair that just improved (perhaps 9s and 5s) or a top pair that they don't think you can beat.

I would just call the river (and perhaps the turn), but I think I play too weak most times. I'm trying to get out of that. One step at a time.