Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Top set gets raised on the river (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=393999)

jacki 12-08-2005 03:58 AM

Top set gets raised on the river

I used to post here a bit and read a lot, now I don't. But now I'm playing limit more, so there you go.

I raise UTG w/black JJ.
UTG+1 (13vpip, 12pfr) 3bets.
UTG+2 (99vpip, 0pfr) cold calls. He has 2 cards.
Folded back to me, I call.

FLOP
8h 5d Jd
I check. Bet, call, call

TURN
6h
I check. Bet, call, I raise, call, call

RIVER
4h
I bet, get raised by the TAG, calling station folds, and I ...

raise, because he's overplaying AA-QQ, or call because of the flush possibilities, or fold for the same reason?

SuitedDucks 12-08-2005 04:02 AM

Re: Top set gets raised on the river

i just call here. im assuming the TAG nkows that you are also TAG so hes not gonna raise AA-QQ here most of the time. Also if he does have something like AKh, youre gonna get 3bet after you raise and its hard to fold with top set.

milesdyson 12-08-2005 04:37 AM

why did you just check call the flop?

shant 12-08-2005 04:40 AM

I'm a moron and misread hand action. This is a lot closer than I initially thought.

hobbsmann 12-08-2005 04:49 AM

3-bet the river as there are more combos of AA-QQ than AQ[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]/AK[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].

elindauer 12-08-2005 05:07 AM

12 pfr is pretty aggressive, he's probably 3-betting AQh and possibly even KQh.

Your check-call-check-raise is pretty strong. He may be using the save-a-bet line with AA, but honestly I just don't see many players use this. More likely, he just made a flush.

I have enough doubt that I'm certainly not folding. I'd recommend just calling though.

good luck.
eric

ps. getting 2:1, you should cap preflop.

12-08-2005 05:11 AM

I think it is safe to assume that UTG+1 is going to bet this flop and that UTG+2 is going to come along. So i advocate for c/r this flop. And then proceeding to lead and jam this turn, and im bet/calling this river.

I think that by being more aggressive on the flop and continuing that agression on the turn, UTG+1's possible AK/AQ [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]'s may not make it to the river?

Can we rule out AJ[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]? That is a good possibility for UTG+1 considering his high PFR.

jacki 12-08-2005 12:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
why did you just check call the flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because I was pretty sure calling station would let me check raise the turn, and I could get 2 BBs from both there.

jskills 12-08-2005 12:14 PM

Lead the flop and hope to get raised. Of check raise the flop. Not getting in an extra bet is a sin.

On the river - you can't fold. Call and expect to see AK [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

jacki 12-08-2005 12:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
3-bet the river as there are more combos of AA-QQ than AQ[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]/AK[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true, but does a reasonable player raise this river with AA-QQ? Remember, calling station is still hanging around when the action first gets to the TAG. If I've got AA in this spot, I'd probably like to see a showdown and hope the see my AJ or QQ