Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   pocket tens hu and board pairs (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=391778)

badbill7 12-05-2005 12:07 PM

pocket tens hu and board pairs

my read on the guy is pretty loose slightly aggressive as hands progress dont know what to do on turn here. i called down but what is the correct thing to do

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is Button with T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, MP3 calls, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP3 calls, CO calls.

Flop: (7.50 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
MP3 checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP3 calls, CO calls.

Turn: (6.75 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
MP3 checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero calls, MP3 folds.

River: (8.75 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 10.75 BB

12-05-2005 12:14 PM

Re: pocket tens hu and board pairs

I don't often play full ring but could he have bet the flop with 8sxs and have picked up a flush on the turn? He could have a pair and think it is still good against you raising overcards.

If you are going to call down why not advocate raising this turn, what would he 3-bet with here that you aren't drawing very slim against.

You could still quite possibly have the strongest hand, since you don't have a read on the player. If he was something like 17/4/.9 then you may think about a fold.

Absent of a read I think I raise the turn.

A) looking for a free showdown
B) raising for value
C) folding if he 3-bets as we are beat 99% of the time?

True

krimson 12-05-2005 12:51 PM

I play it the same. Effective odds are 8.75:2, so we need to win the hand approximately 25% of the time. I think he is often semi-bluffing this turn (a 7, or pair of 8's, 55, etc) and we catch the gutshot every so often as well.

12-05-2005 12:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I play it the same. Effective odds are 8.75:2, so we need to win the hand approximately 25% of the time. I think he is often semi-bluffing this turn (a 7, or pair of 8's, 55, etc) and we catch the gutshot every so often as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

I liked your response to "ATo in BB: and I just kept calling " and I agreed with you.

Why is raising / (folding/calling for improvement) not better than just calling here?

Is the reason simply because we will get 3-bet more often than we are ahead?

krimson 12-05-2005 01:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I liked your response to "ATo in BB: and I just kept calling " and I agreed with you.

Why is raising / (folding/calling for improvement) not better than just calling here?

Is the reason simply because we will get 3-bet more often than we are ahead?

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't think we're ahead here often enough to warrant a raise. We lose 2 bets while behind and gain 1 bet while ahead. Therefore we need to be ahead 66+% of the time for raising to be +ev. I'm not so sure we're ahead this often. Also, if he is semi-bluffing a hand like 78, he may just c/f the river unimproved instead betting again, therefore we may not even gain that extra bet while ahead.

I explained why I don't fold in the post above.

So to sum up: We win this often enough to see a showdown, but our hand is not strong enough to raise since we are paying off better hands more bets then we are gaining from worse hands.

krimson 12-05-2005 01:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you are going to call down why not advocate raising this turn, what would he 3-bet with here that you aren't drawing very slim against.

[/ QUOTE ]
But you need to call the 3-bet, you have odds at that point to draw to a gutshot/set. Then the pot is so big that you need to make a crying call u/i on the river with your overpair as he may have been overplaying a pair with OESD, or even an OESD/FD.

shark6 12-05-2005 01:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
We win this often enough to see a showdown, but our hand is not strong enough to raise since we are paying off better hands more bets then we are gaining from worse hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well said.