Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Micro-Limits (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   puzzling Q9s (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=387466)

11-29-2005 06:22 AM

puzzling Q9s

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP3 calls, CO calls, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, Hero calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, MP3 calls, CO calls, Button calls.

Flop: (14 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(7 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls, MP3 folds, CO calls, Button folds, SB calls.

Turn: (9 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 folds, CO calls, SB calls.

River: (12 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls, SB folds.

Final Pot: 14 BB

This hand points up quite perfectly what I don't understand about Hold'em: the difference between good aggression and plain bad loose play. I honestly don't know in which kategory my play falls.

11-29-2005 06:25 AM

Re: puzzling Q9s

I think you'll find that everyone plays this hand exactly the same.

silly_monkey 11-29-2005 06:38 AM

Flop play is fine. I might try for a C/R though as it potentially gets more bets in the pot, and also looks stronger.

On the turn I have a hard time betting here. I probably chicken out and C/C. I'm sure you're behind, but you have so many outs that this is probably a very marginal value betting situation.

I bet bet/fold river. I expect cutoff to flip over J2o.

11-29-2005 06:56 AM

Result

Pretty damn close: (results in white)

<font color="white"> He had K9o </font>

K-mac 11-29-2005 07:01 AM

I had a hand just like this in my session review. I ended up folding it on the flop (i guess i am incredibly weak tight). I think that you need to bet, bet, bet here. You have TONS of equity and you need to get all sorts of money into the pot. When the draw doesnt hit im not sure if i bet on the river or just check. I am going to lean more towards betting the river because the sb has not shown any agression at all and your second pair may still be good.

AlmightyJay 11-29-2005 07:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP3 calls, CO calls, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, Hero calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, MP3 calls, CO calls, Button calls.

Flop: (14 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(7 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls, MP3 folds, CO calls, Button folds, SB calls.

Turn: (9 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 folds, CO calls, SB calls.

River: (12 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls, SB folds.

Final Pot: 14 BB

This hand points up quite perfectly what I don't understand about Hold'em: the difference between good aggression and plain bad loose play. I honestly don't know in which kategory my play falls.

[/ QUOTE ]

This looks good. I don't know if I'm betting this river - what kind of reads do you have on the other players? Will they call down to here with a worse hand than yours? And if so, will they call on the river with a worse hand?

AlmightyJay 11-29-2005 07:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I had a hand just like this in my session review. I ended up folding it on the flop (i guess i am incredibly weak tight). I think that you need to bet, bet, bet here. You have TONS of equity and you need to get all sorts of money into the pot. When the draw doesnt hit im not sure if i bet on the river or just check. I am going to lean more towards betting the river because the sb has not shown any agression at all and your second pair may still be good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ew. If you're constantly folding pair+flush draw on the flop, you're losing a TON of money. Hero is at least 40% to win this hand on the flop.

11-29-2005 07:52 AM

I don't know, because I play 1/2 usually.

Webster 11-29-2005 08:25 AM

HE played it wrong by

1. raising pre flop with K9s
2. NOT raising the flop.

You played if correctly.

11-29-2005 09:18 AM

You have around 10.5 outs in a multiway pot that is probably going to get pretty darn big. If there is no real aggression post flop Im calling down. You wont hit your draws all the time like it this hand but when you do you pick up a decent size pot. SB missed the flop and is bewildered. If MP1 or CO do something fancy then I would deffinitely have to evaluate my hand.