Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Shorthanded (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Something I've been adding to my game, and its been working.... (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=382260)

ArturiusX 11-20-2005 08:32 PM

Something I\'ve been adding to my game, and its been working....

Rather then calling down from a turn c/r fearing the monster, I've been 3-betting with solid hands vs bad players.

I've been catching a done of bluffs and worse hands whom still see the showdown. It also has nice metagame implications; they never check-raise me in future without the goods.

Example:

I have AJ on the button. Folded to me, I raise, BB calls. Flop is J86. He checks, I bet, he calls. Turn is a 5. He checks, I bet, he raises, I 3-bet. Normally, I'd call down.

How is this approach? Is it better then the old 'weak at the knees if I dont have a monsters'?

kapw7 11-20-2005 08:44 PM

Re: Something I\'ve been adding to my game, and its been working....

Isn't that standard play?

ArturiusX 11-20-2005 08:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Isn't that standard play?

[/ QUOTE ]

You always 3-bet TPTK here?

scotty34 11-20-2005 08:47 PM

I think I would make this play almost always against an aggressive opponent, and rarely vs a passive opponent. If the turn was an 8 however, that would make it a little tougher.

wowacedude 11-20-2005 08:54 PM

I usually calldown here against most opponents, maybe i should try to search for more 3bets here?

ArturiusX 11-20-2005 08:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I usually calldown here against most opponents, maybe i should try to search for more 3bets here?

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats what Im starting to do. Im usually not one to promote hyper aggresiveness, but there's probably a little bit of value edge in the times he has the monsters vs the times he doesnt, plus I'd love any metagame value, especially against tough bluffers.

brazilio 11-20-2005 08:59 PM

Hands like this are why I'm overaggressive. I've been trying to really get away from stuff like this when I don't notice guys checkraise top pairs often enough to risk getting capped by the many hands that we're beaten by. In steal situations though, this seems pretty standard against a lot.

kapw7 11-20-2005 09:00 PM

It was a genuine question, not sarcasm. You said "bad player". I 3-bet as well unless he is a very passive bad player where I call down and prepare myself psychologically for just another suckout.

ArturiusX 11-20-2005 09:03 PM

Even against bad players, check call check raise is pretty scary.

wowacedude 11-20-2005 09:06 PM

What limit do you play btw?
I guess we should 3bet more if we play, lets say 10/20 then 3/6?