Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Kings (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=381556)

sammy_g 11-19-2005 01:54 PM

Kings

200NL on Party. I am UTG with $230 and raise to $6. Button who has me covered calls. SB folds, and BB ($135) calls. My read on BB is that he is loose preflop and moderately aggressive.

Flop: 4-4-7 rainbow

I bet $12. Button folds, and BB raises to $45. He has $84 behind. What's my play?

(Sorry if this is an easy one. I'm fairly new to NL.)

heretowin 11-19-2005 02:26 PM

Re: Kings

I think there are too many hands you beat to make a push here +ev. If he hit the 4 I would be paying him off. I look forward to hearing what others have to say.

sammy_g 11-19-2005 02:30 PM

Forgot to ask: Does the right play change if stacks are deeper, for instance, if BB has me covered?

ajmargarine 11-19-2005 02:30 PM

Call. If he has 77 or 4x, you're destined to double him up. If you 3-bet push, he should be able to get away from his likely hands: pp's that you beat. You might get an action killer like an ace on the turn, but I'd still call and get him half in on the turn, other half on the river. And I'd call obviously if he pushes the turn.

MTBlue 11-19-2005 03:19 PM

This guy doesn't have much if he's normal. He didn't smooth call or minraise so I assume the best hand he has here is a pair of tens. Call flop. I probably check the turn to him and plan to raise all-in. If he checks the turn push the river. He's pot committed so he'll only fold air (and may call with that). Limp reraise or raise more preflop. You can't realistically fold on this type of flop without a superpassive player raising (i.e. only raises two pair or better) and your six dollar bet is given awesome odds to anyone looking to suckout (>20:1 assuming you can get away some of the time).

sammy_g 11-21-2005 03:11 PM

Results

OK, thanks. He had trips, and I got stacked. I guess I am just going to have to get stacked here because there is too good a chance I am best?

djoyce003 11-21-2005 03:13 PM

first of all, don't make crappy raises UTG with kings...make it at least $8.....consider making it $10.

Given his short stack i'm probably getting stacked here if he has trips, but if I make a decent raise preflop I don't feel nearly as bad as I would if I made a near minraise.

sammy_g 11-21-2005 03:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This guy doesn't have much if he's normal. He didn't smooth call or minraise so I assume the best hand he has here is a pair of tens.

[/ QUOTE ]
For what it's worth, I don't think a good player plays trips this way. Of course, most at 200NL aren't good players, so you are probably right.

[ QUOTE ]
I probably check the turn to him and plan to raise all-in. If he checks the turn push the river.

[/ QUOTE ]
I have position.

[ QUOTE ]
Limp reraise or raise more preflop. You can't realistically fold on this type of flop without a superpassive player raising (i.e. only raises two pair or better) and your six dollar bet is given awesome odds to anyone looking to suckout (>20:1 assuming you can get away some of the time).

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't agree with this, but that is another discussion. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

sammy_g 11-21-2005 03:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
first of all, don't make crappy raises UTG with kings...make it at least $8.....consider making it $10.

[/ QUOTE ]
Do you raise weaker hands 4-5xBB? If not, aren't you giving away too much information?

[ QUOTE ]
Given his short stack i'm probably getting stacked here if he has trips, but if I make a decent raise preflop I don't feel nearly as bad as I would if I made a near minraise.

[/ QUOTE ]
That is the first time I've heard a 3xBB raise to open called a "near minraise."

FlyingStart 11-21-2005 03:26 PM

Why shouldn't he play trips like this? His hand is well enough concealed