Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Stud (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Dumping a big pair to 2 pair (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=381062)

Sinnister 11-18-2005 03:15 PM

Dumping a big pair to 2 pair

Sup all if Im holding open Qs, and my opponent is holding open 8s by 5th st, I bet and he raises, since the hand started with an ante steal attempt by me (which isnt advised from people here) I am fairly confident he has 2 small pair. Should I be chasing to the river?

BeerMoney 11-18-2005 03:19 PM

Re: Dumping a big pair to 2 pair

I'd say a fold would be good. your opponent likely has trips.

jon_1van 11-18-2005 03:28 PM

You have to be SERIOUSLY laggy for an opponent to ignore the possibility of Qs up.

If you don't fall under that category you could make this laydown.

Sinnister 11-18-2005 03:55 PM

Im the one with open queens vs his open 8s and hes raising me, telling me 8s up, shjould i muck or chase?

Jeffage 11-18-2005 03:59 PM

There sort of isn't enough information to give you a correct answer here. Was an 8 his doorcard? You opened with a queen up and he coldcalled or was he the BI? Or did he limp, you completed and he called. If, for example, he caught running 8's on 5th and 6th, this is a diff scenario.

Also, regardless of the above, I don't think his raise with open 8's is telling you he has two pair. Unless he is a donk, he may be telling you he can beat queens up. Or, say it's 6th and the 8 wasn't his door...maybe he is raising for the option of a free showdown since you will prob check anything but a boat or trips to him. A lot depends on the player and the context, which you haven't really given.

Jeff

jon_1van 11-18-2005 04:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Im the one with open queens vs his open 8s and hes raising me, telling me 8s up, shjould i muck or chase?

[/ QUOTE ]

When he raises your open Qs he probably isn't saying "I have 8's up" He's probably saying "I have trip 8s" He'd have to think you were VERY VERY likely to have had air to value bet 8's up versus open Qs.

11-18-2005 08:05 PM

You are beat and beat badly. If oyu call you are chasing from behind. Against almost all opponents you are way behind and would be better off to fold. ON occasion you may come across a tricky opponent that will try to push you off the hand, but that is the exception.

Sinnister 11-18-2005 08:08 PM

K he was the bringin, and an 8 was his doorcard he raised my open qs on 5th when he caught an 8. He had 2 pair and I was pretty sure of this just my read for some reason. Lets say the cards are all face up and I know he has 2 pair is it correct to chase?

Andy B 11-18-2005 08:39 PM

If he has two pair smaller than Queens, you should chase as long as most of your cards are live. His raise should mean at least trips, though.

11-18-2005 08:43 PM

If as you say you, the cards are turned up, with your Queens and an adequate pot size, it would be correct to chase as you have many outs to two pair.