Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Stud (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Where are the heavy action stud 8 games Zee talks about in his book? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=375632)

fnord_too 11-10-2005 10:41 AM

Where are the heavy action stud 8 games Zee talks about in his book?

I just have not found heavy jamming games in the 3/6 and above levels on UB, Stars, and Party. Are live games more action intense? Hell, for that matter is stud 8 even spread much live at decent levels? I would like to see what the action games of stud/8 are like.

Also, how would ou guys rate the 3/6, 5/10, 10/20 and 30/60 games on UB, Stars, and Party? I am carving out some table time to develop a stud 8 game, but I don't really have anything to compare the on line games to except each other, but I haven't played enough to even know if the sessions I have played are representative of the games.

Jeffage 11-10-2005 11:20 AM

Re: Where are the heavy action stud 8 games Zee talks about in his book?

30-60 Stud8 on Stars is pretty splashy and aggro. I once played a 75-150 Stud8 game in Vegas during the WSOP that was absolutely disgusting aggression. You really didn't want to get middled multiway in that one. But these games only seem to come during big tournaments.

I agree with you that the online stud8 games I've played below 30-60 are pretty tight/passive in my experience.

Jeff

mscags 11-10-2005 01:03 PM

Re: Where are the heavy action stud 8 games Zee talks about in his boo

Most are pretty tight online and passive I think mainly because of the ante structures at the major sites. The 30-60 game on poker stars runs very often and it is fairly aggressive. The game can be fairly good often enough, but I would stay away unless you seem some fishies. Even though the game usually has a decent avg pot size, all of the regulars are pretty tough in the game. Felicia Lee was just talking about how during WSOP time there were multiple 50-100 stud 8 games running. I have no idea if they were any good or not but I'd imagine they were somewhat juicy.

Beavis68 11-10-2005 06:19 PM

You mean like this?

http://members.cox.net/poker.beavis/82theriver.gif

It was a $1.10 tourny on PS, look at the pot size, and you can see I got 2- outed on the river by Dontar who started with a complete crap hand.

fnord_too 11-10-2005 07:31 PM

2 outs, sure, but that represents half of the stub [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

TheNoodleMan 11-11-2005 07:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You mean like this?

http://members.cox.net/poker.beavis/82theriver.gif

It was a $1.10 tourny on PS, look at the pot size, and you can see I got 2- outed on the river by Dontar who started with a complete crap hand.

[/ QUOTE ]
Wow, the community card on the end! I always thought that was just an urban legend.

Beavis68 11-11-2005 11:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
2 outs, sure, but that represents half of the stub [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

The real funny thing is I capped the river - d'oh!

Ray Zee 11-12-2005 03:38 AM

when i wrote the book it was just live action and there were lots of aggro games. soon after, both games became quite popular as people read and wanted to play them more. when the tv took holdem to new heights other games suffered. they will come back someday. but the fastest games always are the middle limit games in most places.

11-12-2005 05:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I just have not found heavy jamming games in the 3/6 and above levels on UB, Stars, and Party. Are live games more action intense? Hell, for that matter is stud 8 even spread much live at decent levels? I would like to see what the action games of stud/8 are like.

Also, how would ou guys rate the 3/6, 5/10, 10/20 and 30/60 games on UB, Stars, and Party? I am carving out some table time to develop a stud 8 game, but I don't really have anything to compare the on line games to except each other, but I haven't played enough to even know if the sessions I have played are representative of the games.

[/ QUOTE ]

$10/20 on Party is absurdly bad. Get on it while you still can.

Andy B 11-12-2005 12:51 PM

The game doesn't go much anymore (only a few times during the most recent tournament), but Canterbury Park's $30/60 stud/8 game was absolutely phenomenal a few years ago. The $15/30/45 stud/8 game at the Tropicana was very good the one time I sat in it, and that was on a weekday.

I have found mid-limit games to have better action than low-limit games. This game does lend itself to a lot of strategy discussion. This is bad for the game, of course, and I try not to get roped in, but there's a lot of, "I knew Johnny couldn't have a low because blah blah blah." I think that many low-limit players are inclined to take some of the lectures to heart in an effort to not look foolish. In my experience, the typical mid-limit donator knows that he loses and doesn't really give a rip.