Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Notes (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=375629)

pokerbo 11-10-2005 10:37 AM

Notes

I think one of my biggest leaks upon many is making player notes. I very rarely make notes on other players which I know I should be doing. Obviously with the notes you are limited to space.

I was wondering what sort of comments you leave in a players notes, has anyone got a set guideline for this?

Most of my current notes are completely useless, I leave notes such as "likes to bluff", read them again a few months later...Likes to bluff where? when?, what position?, against who? what limits? AHHH this note means nothing to me [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

P.S I made sure I done a full search before posting this topic, however 2plus2 search engine is not the best. Don't get me wrong I love this forum and the people that use it, I just think the search needs serious working on.

Skuzzy 11-10-2005 10:44 AM

Re: Notes

yeah search sux,

My notes are not dissimilar. If readig back my player notes one after the other a picture emerges... I use notes to record bad beats. I write played J6o from MP to a 4BB raise, meaning he hit JJ6 flop and busted my AJ. Sometimes I just write obscenities and insults. Mostly my notes are useless and unco-ordinated with no sense of structure.

Sorry I cant help much but...

I think theres a good limit thread by bisonbison on notes that gives some pointers worth checking the micro limit faq.

Hattifnatt 11-10-2005 10:53 AM

I always make a note on a player that posts UTG or UTG+1.

I also make the comment "Bad???"
And "Good??"
(but with words in my language).

The more "?" after the word I am less certain if its a "good" or "bad" player. If someone just do something a little stupid I put "Bad?????" and then removes some "?" if he done more stupid things.

I also try to do notes as "Quick flop-check with monster". "Thinking long before betting with a good hand" etc.

pho75 11-10-2005 11:37 AM

Here is the short hand I use in my notes.

EP = early position
MP = middle position
LP = late position
Bs = blinds
SB = standard bet (4 x bblind)
PB = pot size bet
MedB = medium bet (around half pot)
SmB = (around quarter pot)
SP = slowplay
SR = standard raise (around pot size)
MB = minibet
MR = miniraise
AI = all-in
R = raise
RR = reraise
C = call
SS = short stack
Fp = flop
Tn = turn
Rv = river
str8D = straight draw
FsD = fsD
set = set
BOP = big over pair
PUP = pocket under pair
TP = top pair
MP = middle pair
BP = bottom pair
GK = good kicker (Q,K,A)
MK = middle kicker(T-7)
LK = low kicker(6-2)

CB = continuation bet
NCB = no continuation bet
? = not sure yet

This is what a typical player note might look like. I don't take note of things like fishy, LAG or loose because Poker Tracker takes care of that.
------------------
(this is the preflop section)
EP SP/AA/KK, SR/AK
MP SP/QQ MR/KK
LP CSR/K6
Bs AI/nothing

(then the postflop section)
Fp SP/set x 2
Fp+Tn MB BOP
Fp+Tn CPB w/FsD
Rv RRAI w/set

(if they raised preflop and miss the flop, do they make c-bets and how big are they)
CB x 1(MB)
NCB x 2

(general one word notes)
slowplay/trapper/chaser

Ghazban 11-10-2005 11:38 AM

I briefly record entire hands that stood out to me; that helps me far more than general comments. Sometimes, I notice somebody to be tilt-prone or have some other glaring general feature and then I will mark that. I also mark the levels I've seen them at. An example might be:
[ QUOTE ]
1/2 NL (6); short buys
cld btn 4x J4o BB, c/c f, donkrz t, c/c r AJ4rQQ;

[/ QUOTE ]
To translate, I saw the guy in the 1/2 6-max NL game, he bought in short (less than 30BB), then called a button 4BB raise in the big blind with J4o, check/called an AJ4 rainbow flop, check/minraised the Q turn, then check/called the Q river (where he is obviously crushed by anything that bet all 3 streets as his two pair just got counterfeited).

pokerbo 11-10-2005 11:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
1/2 NL (6); short buys
cld btn 4x J4o BB, c/c f, donkrz t, c/c r AJ4rQQ;

[/ QUOTE ]

What does the "donkrz t" stand for, nice short hand btw.

Escotme 11-10-2005 11:50 AM

I take notes on every preflop I've seen a player do, the cards, the amount, the position, c-bet on hit and miss, 2nd barrels. I note if a player overbets on a bluff or with the nuts, if he calls with TPMK, MP. I note if he can be made to lay down a good-sized pot on river, if he bets on draws, calls on draws w/o odds, if he tends to play sc, if he will fold immediately to aggression, if he's passively persistent or reply with more aggression. I write if a player will tilt after a large loss, if he likes to push preflop with a small stack and marginal hands. I note if he multitables and if he tends to slowplay/trap and if he's generally perceptive in identifying and exploiting the fish. I will also note if some players have seen me bluff and I've understood that they're starting to see me and play me as a bluffer.

Lately I've started writing not only what he does, but how I should play him. On my humble levels it's most often "valuebet him big/small", "don't bluff" (They often go together...) "beware - tricky" or "respect him".

Combining PT with my notes is very helpful to quickly gauge player styles and tendencies and to play accordingly.

Unfortuntely, I've noted recently that some, to me well-known, opponents have started to leave the table fairly quickly after I sit down. I take it as a sign that I'm doing something right. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Ghazban 11-10-2005 12:07 PM

donkrz = donkraise = check/minraise

pokerbo 11-10-2005 12:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahh I see, and do you value your notes or do you feel they waste too much time when you can be multitabling.

Ghazban 11-10-2005 12:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahh I see, and do you value your notes or do you feel they waste too much time when you can be multitabling.

[/ QUOTE ]
I multitable and take notes; its not like the two are mutually exclusive.