Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Multi-table Tournaments (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Starting from scratch (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=373187)

11-06-2005 10:03 PM

Starting from scratch

I think this is an interesting experiment and something many poor college kids, like myself, can relate with.
Background: Have been playing poker for almost two years but first deposited $100 in stars last spring. I didn't really know what i was doing or what limits or tournaments to play, lost roll within two weeks.
So i learned.
I lurked here, read books and made my return. This time i deposited $20 and built that up to about $900, mainly through two large cashes, but then tilted it all away in high limit cash games within a period of 24 hours. I even squandered my FPP's.
This brings me to about a week ago, with a bankroll of o, but confident that i am an above average player.
So i hit the freerolls.
1st freeroll: 5400 entrants, top 27 gain entry to a tourny with a $1000 prize pool. 113th place, great finish but worth nothing.
2nd freeroll: 4500 entrants, same setup, i finish in exactly 27th and qualify for tournament.
1st tournament where i can actually win money: 1200 horses, $1000 pool. I finish in 64th netting myself an astounding $2.00.
.01/.02 nl cash game: Nut peddle my $2.00 up to $5.50. (hopefully the last time i will put the entirety of my enormous roll into play at once)

So far: 12 hours of work, net gain of $5.50, but hey, at least i'm back.

Plan from here: play 5 stars $1 tourneys and see if the odyssey can continue.

Don't really know why i posted this but thought it was a pretty fun story.

Ken_AA 11-06-2005 10:39 PM

Re: Starting from scratch

-900 in 24 hours??? ouch.

Anyways, I hear ya, I started betting sports three years ago with 250 bucks, and have run it up a nice amount, but am going through a losing streak in poker lately (but tearing up the NFL and college football so thats ok). Good luck.

One of the things im happiest that I did was once I doubled my roll, I took half out. now its all free money wher eif I lose it all im still even and had some fun.

Ken

11-06-2005 10:53 PM

That's kind of the way i feel about this. Yeah, it's only $5.50 over 12 hours, but I actually have fun playing poker, and my ROI is infinity.

sublyme 11-06-2005 10:56 PM

why not build a bankroll via blackjack whoring?

TomHimself 11-06-2005 11:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
now its all free money wher eif I lose it all im still even and had some fun.

[/ QUOTE ] its still lost money

11-06-2005 11:44 PM

That was one of the hardest things for me to understand. I was contemplating whether or not the it was worth the extra 45 cents to get a large meal at McDonalds then going home and two tabling 2/4.