Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   5/10: oops. who did I just trap here? (AQs SB) (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=371478)

paperboyNC 11-03-2005 11:50 PM

5/10: oops. who did I just trap here? (AQs SB)

CO is loose neutral 55/15/2 (VPIP/PFR/AGGR)

Empire Poker 5/10 Hold'em (7 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls.

Flop: (7 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (4.50 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO 3-bets</font>, Hero?

The CO and I had tangled the previous hand. He limped from the button, I raised from the BB and he folded the turn. I figured he'd think I was over-defending and I could extract extra bets by the check/call check/raise line. But then he 3bets.

Do I cap here and bet out an unimproved river? Call and bet the river? If he raises the river, do I 3bet?

Piiop 11-04-2005 12:12 AM

Re: 5/10: oops. who did I just trap here? (AQs SB)

Um, bet the flop? If he's going to play back at you, you can still bet the flop/turn and have him raise so you can 3bet. Plus, what other hands are you ever checking the flop in this situation.

I'd cap the turn and bet/call the river unimproved. 2 agg factor is not neutral - especially for someone whose vpip is 55.

paperboyNC 11-04-2005 09:50 AM

What are the hand ranges for the CO here?

hobbsmann 11-04-2005 09:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What are the hand ranges for the CO here?

[/ QUOTE ]
huge. he opened from the CO so he could have any A, a bunch of Ts, some straight draws, etc. basically this turn needs to be capped and I agree with piiop that you should bet/call the river.

ErrantNight 11-04-2005 11:03 AM

ok...

(a) CO is not "neutral" for 55 a 2 PFaggro factor is huge, this guy is a loose aggro.

(b) 3-betting preflop and c/calling this semi-coordinated flop sucks. what if he has KQ? or KJ? or some lower pocket pair? or nothing? bet this flop.

(c) bet the turn. the turn raise/3-bet or whatever just isn't that scary coming from this guy. you're behind AK, AT, and A9, and ahead of AJ, A8, A7, etc. all the way down.

(d) since your turn c/r looks fishy and he's aggro and prolly has an A... I probably call and bet/call the river. I don't like where you stand as much if you cap and bet/call, but villain is likely raising the river with much the range he 3-bets the turn on. And capping then c/calling is weak. And calling check/calling seems WAY too weak against this opponent. Of course if you hit a Q bet/3-bet the river.

krimson 11-04-2005 11:35 AM

If you're going to isolate out of the sb, you definitely need to take the initiative on the flop and bet into him (hit or miss). I would probably bet/3-bet the flop if he raises me, i'd rather make my mistake on the cheaper street if i'm behind aces up or AK, as opposed to going for a c/r on the turn and getting 3-bet there.

Given how it's played. I think we definitely can call this one down. I think we'll be ahead often enough, and if not we have 3+ outs to catch up.

paperboyNC 11-04-2005 04:43 PM

results

CO had 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. I called the 3bet and led the river when it came 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. He flat-called and took down the 12 BB pot.

I don't normally post results, but I never thought about a set when I played the hand and thought it an interesting result.

paperboy

W. Deranged 11-04-2005 05:00 PM

Re: results

You played the hand excellently. Bet-calling the river looks really good, in my opinion.

Redd 11-04-2005 05:45 PM

What advantage does a turn-to-(brick) river SNG afford us here? I don't think he's checking the river behind very often here, and if we have the equity to lead a blank river we'll have the equity to cap the turn.

W. Deranged 11-04-2005 05:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What advantage does a turn-to-(brick) river SNG afford us here? I don't think he's checking the river behind very often here, and if we have the equity to lead a blank river we'll have the equity to cap the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't really think so. I think some times he might raise a river donk with an inferior hand, so our equity when bet 5 goes in tends to be reasonably high. When the 6th bet goes in, we are very, very often toast. Calling and leading assures that 4-5 bets total go in while not opening us up to paying 6 bets and preventing us from putting in only 3.