Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Steak in an oven (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=368109)

xorbie 10-29-2005 10:53 PM

Steak in an oven

Ok, so I have some round eye steak that I picked up because it was cheap. I've never made steak before, and all I have is an oven and a frying pan so I'm sticking with the former. I have Worcestershire sauce. I also have some other things I'm thinking of adding (tabasco or some other type of hot sauce). What's the game plan here?

RunDownHouse 10-29-2005 11:09 PM

Re: Steak in an oven

If your frying pan isn't el cheapo, get your pan very hot and sear the steak. Finish it off by broiling in the oven.

edfurlong 10-29-2005 11:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If your frying pan isn't el cheapo, get your pan very hot and sear the steak. Finish it off by broiling in the oven.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. All you need is salt and pepper before cooking. Add whatever you like after.

xorbie 10-29-2005 11:33 PM

Little bit of olive oil in the pan good?

rudedog78 10-29-2005 11:38 PM

A bit of butter over Olive Oil imo.

gl

IggyWH 10-29-2005 11:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Some small amount of greaser is probably best since you don't want sticking. I'd probably rather use a margerine or butter though.

edfurlong 10-30-2005 12:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Some small amount of greaser is probably best since you don't want sticking. I'd probably rather use a margerine or butter though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yuck. This has no place in any kitchen ever.

Blarg 10-30-2005 12:40 AM

If you're just searing it, you want the carmelization on the outside of the steak. So if you use any oil at all, just put some on a paper towel and rub the pan with it. The steak won't be in the pan long enough to burn if you get the heat high enough.

Quicksilvre 10-30-2005 12:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you're just searing it, you want the carmelization on the outside of the steak. So if you use any oil at all, just put some on a paper towel and rub the pan with it. The steak won't be in the pan long enough to burn if you get the heat high enough.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, just a little bit hits the spot.

Does your oven have a broiler? That would be much better....

xorbie 10-30-2005 12:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, just a little bit hits the spot.

Does your oven have a broiler? That would be much better....

[/ QUOTE ]

I can turn the knob to broil, yes.