Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Heads-up hustlers? (semi-LC) (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=367420)

dtbog 10-28-2005 05:37 PM

Heads-up hustlers? (semi-LC)

So I sat down to play a heads-up SnG at UltimateBet a few minutes ago, and I was paired with an opponent who didn't seem to know anything about heads-up play.

He never raised his button, he folded way too much, and he'd check check check check every time he missed the flop. I picked up every pot in which he didn't hit the board.

When I beat him before the 25/50 blind level, the little dialog asked if he wanted a rematch, and he instantly accepted. "Sweet," I thought, "another easy $30."

After the second hand I knew I'd been "hustled". All of the sudden, the guy was raising every button. Reraising all of the loose raises that I'd come to make. Picking up every pot in which I didn't hit the flop... by putting in a strategic and huge 3-bet.

He had me so off-balance that he took the second match pretty easily by picking up all of the aggressive chip-spewing moves that I'd come to make against him, and I didn't adjust properly until I had very few chips.

He won the third match after I donked off most of my chips when his two-card straight beat my top and middle pair, and I couldn't recover.

Despite the first match, though, he was a very good heads-up player.

Do you think this 'hustling' strategy is common? Have you ever seen it before?

TheWorstPlayer 10-28-2005 05:39 PM

Re: Heads-up hustlers? (semi-LC)

That was me stepping in for the dude I am tutoring.

xorbie 10-28-2005 05:42 PM

How is that even a hussle? He could have just beatien you th e first time and saved a lot of time and still ended up +$30.

aces_dad 10-28-2005 05:46 PM

And, hero has to accept a third match after villian wins the second one for this to work at all.

orange 10-28-2005 05:48 PM

Or he challenges hero to $100 HU, or an increased ammount of money.

Big_Jim 10-28-2005 05:48 PM

Damn good match. Wanna do another one for $1K?

FreakDaddy 10-28-2005 06:19 PM

I think hustling for 30 bucks seems unlikely. Perhaps it just took him that long to get a read, or maybe his friend took over. Who knows...?

dtbog 10-28-2005 06:35 PM

Keep in mind that I agree with all of you doubters who are presenting logical reasons why he's probably not 'hustling'... but I really couldn't come up with any other explanation for his play.

excession 10-28-2005 06:45 PM

perhaps he was testing different HU strategies?

dtbog 10-28-2005 07:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
perhaps he was testing different HU strategies?

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL.. strategy 1, only play the nuts