Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   88 over pair all hearts :-/ (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=364753)

TheHammer24 10-24-2005 10:29 PM

88 over pair all hearts :-/

Villian unknown

Raise Turn safe card...wtf is a safe card though?

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (5 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB folds, BB folds, UTG folds, MP1 calls.

Turn: (4.50 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls.

River: (6.50 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP1 checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 6.50 BB

ncboiler 10-24-2005 10:33 PM

Re: 88 over pair all hearts :-/

I was going to say wait until turn to raise but I changed my mind. A raise will get any overcard non-heart to fold (maybe). I would bet river and fold to a raise.

TheHammer24 10-24-2005 10:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was going to say wait until turn to raise but I changed my mind. A raise will get any overcard non-heart to fold (maybe). I would bet river and fold to a raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

What pays off? 7x? If he was on the heart draw he folds, if he had a better hand he calls. I just check here.

Nick C 10-24-2005 11:08 PM

I like your flop raise, which has a decent chance of protecting your hand on this scary board.

On the river, I might check behind like you did, but I'm not sure that's best. If Villain just flopped top pair, there's a good chance you're still best. And he might pay off. There is some chance, too, that he'll fold a hand like 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].

I know hoping for calls from worse hands and folds from better hands seems contradictory, but it isn't really. Villain is unknown, so we can't rule out either possibility. (And even if he weren't unknown, we shouldn't expect Villain to play completely consistently or predictably.) I do think a call from a worse hand is considerably more likely than a fold from a better one, though. (Edit: And I also think Villain will fold, say, his 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] or even A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] sometimes, so it's not like you're automatically getting paid off when you are best.)

Klompy 10-24-2005 11:13 PM

Do you really get calls from a worse hand when there's 4 to a straight, and four to a flush? Maybe, but I bet most of the time your river bet is called, your hand is no good.

Borodog 10-24-2005 11:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you really get calls from a worse hand when there's 4 to a straight, and four to a flush? Maybe, but I bet most of the time your river bet is called, your hand is no good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nick C 10-24-2005 11:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, for what it's worth, if Villain just has top pair, I think the four-flush will bother him more than the four-straight (and it should).

There is some small chance of folding out a better hand (like TT), and I think that's a consideration too.

Anyway, though, I'm not really sure what's best on the river. Even with a read, it's hard to know how a player will react to a board like the one in this hand. And we don't even have a read.

10-24-2005 11:34 PM

Perfect.