Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Politics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Would you support this state law? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=364663)

slickpoppa 10-24-2005 08:07 PM

Would you support this state law?

If the following referendum were on the ballot of your state's next election, would you vote for it:

"Any private or state educational institution shall be forbidden from favoring an applicant for admission based on his or her legacy status or the wealth of his or her parents or guardians."

I probably could have worded it better if I thought about it more, but let's not get nitty about the exact wording or other concerns such as what penalties or remedies would apply. And let's limit the discussion to state laws in order to avoid federalism concerns.

JackWhite 10-24-2005 09:29 PM

Re: Would you support this state law?

I certainly wouldn't favor this applying to private institutions. They are private, so they should set their own standards, even though I am not a fan of legacy admissions for anybody.

lehighguy 10-24-2005 09:44 PM

No on implementation grounds. Yes on principle.

SheetWise 10-24-2005 10:49 PM

Not private. If you don't like it, start another.

Jedster 10-25-2005 01:23 AM

So far, the responses actually provide the underpinnings for a good argument in favor of affirmative action.

10-25-2005 11:28 AM

Same as the other posters. Yes to public, no to private.

slickpoppa 10-25-2005 11:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I certainly wouldn't favor this applying to private institutions. They are private, so they should set their own standards, even though I am not a fan of legacy admissions for anybody.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, so how about instead of outright prohibiting legacy admissions, the state conditions private institutions' tax-exempt status on their usage of legacy admissions?

MMMMMM 10-25-2005 11:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Okay, so how about instead of outright prohibiting legacy admissions, the state conditions private institutions' tax-exempt status on their usage of legacy admissions?

[/ QUOTE ]

How about the state just stay out of it entirely?

slickpoppa 10-25-2005 12:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Because they are giving those institutions a benefit (tax exempt status) that they do not give to others. Why shouldn't they be able to condition that benefit?

benfranklin 10-25-2005 01:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Because they are giving those institutions a benefit (tax exempt status) that they do not give to others. Why shouldn't they be able to condition that benefit?

[/ QUOTE ]

"Legacies" get preferred admission because their parents give the school a bunch of money. That money benefits other students in the form of better facilities and scholarships for some who may not have been able to go there without that money. All I can see here is benefits.

And if somebody wants to donate a ton of money to State U. with the (wink-wink) condition that his slacker kid gets admitted, I'm all for that too.