Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Karma, Doing the Right Thing and Ms. Manners (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=364281)

Jeffage 10-24-2005 11:42 AM

Karma, Doing the Right Thing and Ms. Manners

So yesterday I went clothes shopping, something I RARELY treat myself to, and spent a good bit of money. I stopped in one store and bought quite a bit of merchandise and I figured the bill would be in the $400 range. When I got rang up (as the store was closing), it came to only $225. I figured something was up, but they were sort of shoeing everyone out of the store and I looked at my receipt outside. Three shirts, which should have been $40 apiece came up as zero dollars when they scanned them. I didn't know what to do and at that point the store was locked, etc. I felt REALLY bad about it.

So I go home and turn on MSNBC and low and behold, there is a story about ethics with a panel of a rabbi, priest and Ms. Manners. They highlighted the story of a hidden camera exercise at a NYC restaurant where guests were given an obv. incorrect bill (50% error in their favor). About half of them corrected the error. I decided I was going to go back the next day and inform them of their mistake. Meanwhile, I played a certain game on the Internet and hemmoraged a few grand. Serves me right for not banging on the store door and fixing the error immediately like I knew I should. I don't need any bad karma right now.

I'll be hitting the mall on my way home today...trip report to follow if there is interest.

Jeff

IndieMatty 10-24-2005 11:46 AM

Re: Karma, Doing the Right Thing and Ms. Manners

When I worked in retail this happened a few times. Some places still have a manual overide and the cashier could have simply been typing fast and hitting "0" instead of the enter key. Now if they came up like 8.97 or something, I think you may be able to just say "fug it". But since it's obvious there is some mistake, and the shirts are not free---going back is the right move.

Sightless 10-24-2005 11:46 AM

Maybe you saving that money on clothes was a Karmic reward?

diebitter 10-24-2005 11:47 AM

You are doing right, adn you know it, don't you [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Peace of mind > saving a little money.

TheBlueMonster 10-24-2005 11:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
for what? losing money later?

Sightless 10-24-2005 11:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Being a good person? Doing good deeds?

TheBlueMonster 10-24-2005 11:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
but he lost money later.

Sightless 10-24-2005 12:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
but he lost money later.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe he didn't lose them, maybe they were given away to a person who really needed them in order to survive, thus resulting in another good deed?

steelcmg 10-24-2005 12:06 PM

I think i would just keep the shirts it makes up for all those times they over charge you or give u the wrong change. You dont see them coming to your house to give back the money if they notice do you?

samjjones 10-24-2005 12:23 PM

http://img397.imageshack.us/img397/9360/payit8wf.jpg

Pay it forward...