Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Anyway to avoid this?? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=364089)

creamdog 10-24-2005 02:41 AM

Anyway to avoid this??

PS 0.10/0.25 NL
UTG+1 $24.65
Villain $24.15

I am UTG+1, dealt JJ, no reads yet, just sat down.
UTG folds, I raise to 0.75, folds to CO, he calls, and Villain in BB calls.
Flop<8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]>
Pot(2.35)
Villain checks, I bet 1.75, CO folds, BB calls
Turn<3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]>
pot(5.85)
Villain checks, I bet 4, Villain calls
River<6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]>
Pot(13.85)
Villain Checks, I bet 10, he pushes for 8ish more and I call.
A couple people I have discussed this with have said to check behind on the river, and in hindsight I agree. But are there any other thoughts on this?

10-24-2005 02:46 AM

Re: Anyway to avoid this??

I check river

Escotme 10-24-2005 04:18 AM

At microlimits, u need to raise more, like 5x, with a vulnerable hand like JJ. Otherwise u run the risk of having to deal with too many donk-hands from glory hopefuls. And they hit too often for u to take their money fast enough before one of them hits and take yours. Another reason to raise more is that JJ is a lot better heads up than against multiple callers.

You're lucky the flop contains no scare card. But without a read, it's hard to say for certain that I would have done anything differently, but a stronger flop bet is advised to chase out any drawing hands. But against a calling station, I might have done exactly like u. As is, you're not giving him effective odds, but you are giving him implied.

Turn bet - I would have fired 2nd barrel too, just like u.

River - he's not calling with anything that u beat. Your friends are right - check behind.

All in all, I think this is one of those tricky hands where "loss containment" is what separates the better players from the rest.

A final thought on how to avoid this: don't get involved in large pots without a premium holding WHEN U JUST SAT DOWN. Reads are important at this level too.

PS. My guess is he had A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] - am I right?

10-24-2005 04:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I check river

[/ QUOTE ]

Srry, I just realized I didn't answer your question. I don't have many other thoughts on the hand besides it's more likely you'll get called/raised on the river from a better hand than a worse hand.

ansky451 10-24-2005 06:18 AM

aw, you posted it.

Raise to 1 preflop, not .75.

Bet full pot each street.

Check river.

ThaHero 10-24-2005 06:27 AM

Am I too weak for rarely ever raising JJ in early position?

Mercman572 10-24-2005 08:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Am I too weak for rarely ever raising JJ in early position?

[/ QUOTE ]

even full ring i think so. even when an over flops I'd much rather have it heads up in a raised pot. Continuation bets normally take it down. plus I'd like to raise more hands then AA-QQ +Ak. I've defiitely heard of some players limping this though

ericlambi 10-24-2005 11:44 AM

You played it okay. I'd bet more PF and on the flop.

swolfe 10-24-2005 11:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I check river

[/ QUOTE ]

ericlambi 10-24-2005 11:47 AM

Ahhhh. Don't limp JJ ever, in any poker game, and you'll be fine. Limping is just playing for set value, which is a waste. Also, you invite callers that will often times out flop you and it makes it difficult/expensive when your JJ is an overpair to the board.