Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Shorthanded (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Interesting 1/2 hand. Slow down to checkraise the turn. (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=363043)

Oblivious 10-22-2005 12:12 PM

Interesting 1/2 hand. Slow down to checkraise the turn.

Crossposted from SS, since we're 3 handed.

I just sat down at this table, so I dont have any info for these players.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 max, 3 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is BB with T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, SB calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (6 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, Button calls, SB calls.

Turn: (7.50 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, SB calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button calls, SB calls.

River: (13.50 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button folds, SB folds.

Final Pot: 14.50 BB

Im curious about the turn checkraise. It seems many strong players here dont recomend this play. If I remember correctly, HPFAP advocated checkraising legit hands on the turn when youre sure enough there will be a bet behind you. Im not sure if the situation in this hand qualifies. Maybe I should re-read that part. Anyway, what do you think SB had?

Ive been struggling with this... on the occasions where the turn checkraise is successful, after the hand is over I have to ask myself, "Would he have raised me if i had just bet out on the turn?" The answer is yes/maybe about half the time. How might I know that my opponent has a hand which he would bet in late position but not raise? I think this is an example of this case though. After getting checkraised by both of us, the button will have a tough time raising the turn with Ace/good-kicker, but he might feel obligated to bet if checked to (this also applies to hands like JJ-KK).

Also, does anyone advocate smooth calling the flop? How risky is betting the river when the 9 pairs? Do I make a crying call on the end if Im checkraised by SB?

stripsqueez 10-22-2005 06:04 PM

Re: Interesting 1/2 hand. Slow down to checkraise the turn.

i dont like your questions much

i like 3 bet pre-flop

i dont see how you can be confident the button is going to bet the turn - as he did you pass the scoreboard test - if you reckon he is betting the turn then i really like a 3 bet pre-flop

checking into aggro guys with a rock isnt something i do much anymore because i'm always angling to bet into them and 3 bet

betting the river and contemplating a fold thereafter isnt on my agenda - if the SB has a 9 he is likely a chook and i therefore have no faith in what he thinks a river raise looks like

stripsqueez - chickenhawk

10-22-2005 06:16 PM

Re: Interesting 1/2 hand. Slow down to checkraise the turn.

You should 3ball him preflop. ATs is fairly strong 3 handed.

If you dont 3ball him, the flop checkraise is good. You should really lead the turn though. If he has an ace expect him to raise you. If he was a big donk you could 3ball him there too. The doulbe check-raise is too risky. If he checks it through, you lose a good deal of bets.

Okay, back the the scenario where you do 3ball him preflop. Bet the flop, if he raises you can reraise if you want , but I would probably just call. This is because if he is really aggro you can check-raise the turn here (which you will likely be able to since an ace hits in this case. Either way, I'm leading the river.

The nine pairing isnt really a big deal. Its not likely they have a nine.