Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Jarhead (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=361918)

DoubleDown 10-20-2005 07:19 PM

Jarhead

a flik about a marine's time spent in Iraq.
director is the same who did American Beauty.

do you expect this movie to be a deep & thought-provoking movie that will be worth watching or just some hoo-rah over-the-top patriotic propaganda that will truly [i]welcome you to the the suck[i]?

Boris 10-20-2005 07:21 PM

Re: Jarhead

Bro I am super stoked to see this flick. Sam Mendes is da man, if only for American Beauty. Road to Perdition was kind of lame but let's forget about that. Jarhead looks awesome. Hope it doesn't let me down.

[censored] 10-20-2005 07:29 PM

I'm with Boris, I too am excited for this movie to come out. I'm big war/military movie guy anyways and this looks like it has a solid director, solid cast and a potentially fresh story.

Sightless 10-20-2005 07:30 PM

Am i the only one who just can't stand Jamie Fox?

jakethebake 10-20-2005 07:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Am i the only one who just can't stand Jamie Fox?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. Is he in this? That's disappointing.

mikech 10-20-2005 07:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
a flik about a marine's time spent in Iraq.
director is the same who did American Beauty.

do you expect this movie to be a deep & thought-provoking movie that will be worth watching or just some hoo-rah over-the-top patriotic propaganda that will truly welcome you to the the suck?

[/ QUOTE ]
from the previews it doesn't look at all "over-the-top patriotic." i dunno if it can be better than "three kings," though; that movie was great.

KneeCo 10-20-2005 07:38 PM

the book (a first person account by the author) is far from patriotic boo ha ha.

The book is actually not about war so much as commradary between troops IMO. They spend the book competiting with one and other, making fun of one and another, fighting, saving each other from commiting suicide, assuring one and other that their girlfriends/wives back home aran't screwing around.

It's a really great book which when people ask me about it, I like to say is basically about what it feels like to be a guy.

I look foward to the film.

TheBlueMonster 10-20-2005 07:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
hoo-rah over-the-top patriotic propaganda

[/ QUOTE ]
it's explicitly clear from the preview that this is not the case. It's gonna be awesome

DoubleDown 10-20-2005 07:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
hoo-rah over-the-top patriotic propaganda

[/ QUOTE ]
it's explicitly clear from the preview that this is not the case. It's gonna be awesome

[/ QUOTE ]

you've never seen a crappy movie that's had decent-appearing previews?

DoubleDown 10-20-2005 07:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Bro I am super stoked to see this flick. Sam Mendes is da man, if only for American Beauty. Road to Perdition was kind of lame but let's forget about that. Jarhead looks awesome. Hope it doesn't let me down.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mendes is also undertaking the production of "Kite Runner"
was a great book, i feel that he will do it well