Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   One-table Tournaments (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   My whole say on all this "drop of of school stuff" (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=361144)

FatalError 10-19-2005 07:48 PM

My whole say on all this \"drop of of school stuff\"

I'll preface this with my short history, i just graduated college in august with a 3.7 GPA, i played poker almost non stop my senior year and spent very little of the money, i did'nt have much of a social life, i went on a few trips but they were all to play poker, my girlfriend broke up with me in january and i never bothered to find another one, why did she leave? obviously poker! (she lost, we'll find out why later)

So what amazing point is my pompous ass about to make, well guess what stay in school you donkeys. I did'nt drop out even though it was financially viable because i'll probably never use my computer science degree. I graduated because it was +EV for life, it made my family happy because i'm the first ever college graduate in a family of immigrants. So i've got 18k in college loans because i had a scholarship big deal and here is why.

I sacrificed my social life my senior year because i had a plan. Most of you want to drop out to still have a social life, but if you just perform well at school AND play poker with all the rest of your free time you can save a serious amount of money. in 9 months i put away almost 50,000$ to work as a playing bankroll and to spend. I graduated and hit the ground running.

If you had met me in august you would'nt have known i had a dime to my name, that changed quick because i saved all that cash. I bought the car, the diamond watch, the apartment in downtown boston, the tv, the artwork, everything... if you dreamed about having it during your college years i got it. And now i live with my college buddies, and now my life at 21 years old and 2 months out of college is great. It won't last forever, neither will poker but for now i have a bankroll to play at the levels necessary to maintain an awesome standard of living and i did'nt have to give up college and my future to do it.

I've seen poker players my age complain that it's hard to get parents or family or girls to understand what you do, but if you handled it a little more like a business with a little more responsibility then you might succeed a little better. All this depressed talk pisses me off, we're living lives our peers dream of, i'm posting this here because i know alot of STT'ers and the average player is closer to my age than anywhere else.

You guys need to get your heads out of your asses, finish school and ride out this poker rollercoaster and make the best of it because i gaurentee you when you're 40 and sitting around with your friends talking about what you were doing when you were 21, you're going to blow them all out of the water

MegaBet 10-19-2005 07:50 PM

Re: My whole say on all this \"drop of of school stuff\"

Do we really need 17 threads on this?

axeshigh 10-19-2005 08:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
we're living lives our peers dream of

[/ QUOTE ]

The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. Some people make a lot of money really quick at poker while having no life, others get laid by a different girl every weekend, etc.

Nick M 10-19-2005 08:53 PM

My friend Morgan, whose father invented the cubicle and nerf, puts a hurt locker on your dream come true. Take it easy and just be happy dude. There's always going to be someone way better off than either you or I.

bigt439 10-19-2005 09:10 PM

Girls and university memories > diamond watch and artwork.

Oluwafemi 10-19-2005 09:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'll preface this with my short history, i just graduated college in august with a 3.7 GPA, i played poker almost non stop my senior year and spent very little of the money, i did'nt have much of a social life, i went on a few trips but they were all to play poker, my girlfriend broke up with me in january and i never bothered to find another one, why did she leave? obviously poker! (she lost, we'll find out why later)

So what amazing point is my pompous ass about to make, well guess what stay in school you donkeys. I did'nt drop out even though it was financially viable because i'll probably never use my computer science degree. I graduated because it was +EV for life, it made my family happy because i'm the first ever college graduate in a family of immigrants. So i've got 18k in college loans because i had a scholarship big deal and here is why.

I sacrificed my social life my senior year because i had a plan. Most of you want to drop out to still have a social life, but if you just perform well at school AND play poker with all the rest of your free time you can save a serious amount of money. in 9 months i put away almost 50,000$ to work as a playing bankroll and to spend. I graduated and hit the ground running.

If you had met me in august you would'nt have known i had a dime to my name, that changed quick because i saved all that cash. I bought the car, the diamond watch, the apartment in downtown boston, the tv, the artwork, everything... if you dreamed about having it during your college years i got it. And now i live with my college buddies, and now my life at 21 years old and 2 months out of college is great. It won't last forever, neither will poker but for now i have a bankroll to play at the levels necessary to maintain an awesome standard of living and i did'nt have to give up college and my future to do it.

I've seen poker players my age complain that it's hard to get parents or family or girls to understand what you do, but if you handled it a little more like a business with a little more responsibility then you might succeed a little better. All this depressed talk pisses me off, we're living lives our peers dream of, i'm posting this here because i know alot of STT'ers and the average player is closer to my age than anywhere else.

You guys need to get your heads out of your asses, finish school and ride out this poker rollercoaster and make the best of it because i gaurentee you when you're 40 and sitting around with your friends talking about what you were doing when you were 21, you're going to blow them all out of the water

[/ QUOTE ]

nicely put, Fa-T-L. i hope tha' youngstaz listen to you. keep killin' those $109s bro!

runner4life7 10-19-2005 09:35 PM

As a 20 year old college student this was nice to read. thanks

FatalError 10-19-2005 09:46 PM

I was hoping at least one person would get something out of this, i have 2 roomates that are well on there way but i'm trying to get them to just focus on getting school done and putting away a bankroll, they've got more time than i had too. i had 9 months till graduation to build up the cash.

FatalError 10-19-2005 09:47 PM

Ever since the end of the world i've been playing HU 2-4, 3-6, and 5-10 NL on a site i will not name. I feel like i can move to the 2000 NL heads up matches soon. I may never go back to SnG's.

KKbluff 10-19-2005 09:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Girls and university memories > diamond watch and artwork.

[/ QUOTE ]

Side note: Good job and good luck with your future endeavors.