Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Shorthanded (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Was I too weak on the turn here? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=360778)

giant sand 10-19-2005 10:15 AM

Was I too weak on the turn here?

. . . initially I thought I should have bet (possibly check-raised) on the turn, but now I'm not so sure.

W Hill £3-6 4-handed. Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 10[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] No reads.

MP1 fold, <font color="red"> villain </font> calls, SB folds <font color="blue">Hero </font> raises, <font color="red">villain </font> calls.

<font color="black">Flop</font> (4.5 sb)
10[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

<font color="blue">Hero</font> bets, <font color="red">villain </font> calls

<font color="black">Turn</font> (3.25BB)
6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Hero checks, villain bets, Hero folds.

Should I have bet on the turn here, and then folded to a raise? I hate this board . . .
This was a bad session too and I was a bit on tilt - as a result probably playing a bit too passive.

SUfan5 10-19-2005 10:30 AM

Re: Was I too weak on the turn here?

Yes, bet the turn. Check-folding is weak and he could've been peeling the flop with a wide range of hands.

giant sand 10-19-2005 10:36 AM

Yes, that makes sense SU, but if he was drawing on the flop then he would have been more likely to raise on the flop.

After I checked the turn, somebody on a draw who didn't raise the flop is unlikely to bet the turn, and would instead be happy to get another card for nothing.

His bet on the turn suggests to me he may have top pair or perhaps even two pair. Because the pot is small perhaps a fold is best after all?

BTW, what would you do if villain raises the turn after you bet? fold?

Noodles 10-19-2005 10:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
After I checked the turn, somebody on a draw who didn't raise the flop is unlikely to bet the turn

[/ QUOTE ]

ummm yes they are,they do it all the time hoping you fold

wackjob 10-19-2005 11:39 AM

Should have bet the turn for sure. Your action seems very weak/scared and will get you run over by anyone paying attention.

MrTeddyKGB 10-19-2005 01:15 PM

I would bet this turn. I a checked i would call for sure.

EvanJC 10-19-2005 01:16 PM

bet the turn and call a raise

trentcroad 10-19-2005 01:18 PM

Not betting is prob giving it up to easily here.

10-19-2005 01:21 PM

I'd rather bet/fold. If you bet, why call a turn raise? Are you planning to call down? I feel like the river card will more often be bad than good.

Spicymoose 10-19-2005 01:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd rather bet/fold. If you bet, why call a turn raise? Are you planning to call down? I feel like the river card will more often be bad than good.

[/ QUOTE ]

If your opponent is passive, a turn fold is ok if he raises you. Against most opponents (somewhat agressive), he could easily be raising you with a draw, so you really need to call down (barring a horrific river).