Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Omaha/8 (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   $2k PLO8 hand (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=360269)

Wintermute 10-18-2005 04:23 PM

$2k PLO8 hand

Villian is very good, rarely gets out of line in a dumb way, but I suspecet frequently tries to buy pots when obvious draws hit. Think this line is suicide or OK? Oh yeah, I was on tilt when this hand went down, though I believe he was unaware.

$2000 PL Omaha Hi/Lo
Seat 1 is the button
Total number of players : 3
Seat 4: Villain ( $1370.88 )
Seat 8: Hero ( $2599 )
Seat 1: Folder ( $770.50 )
Villain posts small blind [$10].
Hero posts big blind [$20].

** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to Hero [ 7s Qh Js Kd ]

Folder folds.
Villain raises [$45].
Hero calls [$35].

** Dealing Flop ** [ Kh, As, 5s ]

Villain bets [$109].
Hero calls [$109].

** Dealing Turn ** [ Ts ]

Villain bets [$327].
Hero raises [$1308].

gergery 10-18-2005 04:42 PM

Re: $2k PLO8 hand

I like it. He is likely to have some sort of low draw so you want that to go away. He also is likely to call with worse flush here, and may call with the straight or twopair+lowdraw. If he has the higher flush, then use the vasoline next time.

-g

Jorge10 10-18-2005 04:52 PM

I like it. Also you want him to pay as much as possible for his low draw.

emptyshell 10-18-2005 05:54 PM

Villain's pf raise makes it unlikely enough that he has a good flush to make the turn move OK. I don't like the flop call, though. It's hard to imagine you had the right odds, especially considering the possibility that even when you make your hand it's no good.

If Villain was very aggro, I'd consider pausing for awhile on the turn and then just calling. He might fire another big bet if the low doesn't come on the river. With either move you lose the same amount when he has a higher flush, but you win more by just calling. Of course, raising to charge his possible low and/or boat draws is the ABC way to play it; and the ABC way is probably best here. Sometimes you just want to stack somebody, though....

Wintermute 10-18-2005 06:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Villain's pf raise makes it unlikely enough that he has a good flush to make the turn move OK. I don't like the flop call, though. It's hard to imagine you had the right odds, especially considering the possibility that even when you make your hand it's no good.

If Villain was very aggro, I'd consider pausing for awhile on the turn and then just calling. He might fire another big bet if the low doesn't come on the river. With either move you lose the same amount when he has a higher flush, but you win more by just calling. Of course, raising to charge his possible low and/or boat draws is the ABC way to play it; and the ABC way is probably best here. Sometimes you just want to stack somebody, though....

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree the flop call was stupid... tilt is my excuse.

On the turn... This player isn't very aggro, so I think calling is the worst of three options (if a low comes, then I'm faced with calling a huge bet just to get back a couple hundo--disaster). The probability that the river bricks AND he fires again without having a hand is pretty low, given this guy's tendencies. Example from later in the session (same Villain):

$2000 PL Omaha Hi/Lo
Seat 4 is the button
Total number of players : 6
Seat 4: Villain ( $1967.88 )
Seat 8: Hero ( $2963 )
Seat 6: Folder ( $598 )
Seat 2: Folder ( $2236 )
Seat 10: Folder ( $500 )
Seat 5: Folder ( $2920.90 )
Folder posts small blind [$10].
Folder posts big blind [$20].

** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to Hero [ 8h 6s Ks Kd ]

Hero calls [$20].
Folder folds.
Folder folds.
Villain calls [$20].
Folder calls [$10].
Folder checks.

** Dealing Flop ** [ Ad, Kc, 2s ]

Folder checks.
Folder checks.
Hero bets [$77].
Villain calls [$77].
Folder folds.
Folder folds.

** Dealing Turn ** [ Tc ]

Hero checks.
Villain bets [$231].
Hero calls [$231].

** Dealing River ** [ 9c ]

Hero checks.
Villain checks.
Hero shows [ 8h, 6s, Ks, Kd ] three of a kind, kings.
Villain doesn't show [ Ac, 4d, 5d, Ts ] two pairs, aces and tens.
Hero wins $693 from the main pot with three of a kind, kings.
There was no qualifying low hand.

Wintermute 10-18-2005 06:58 PM

Results

He thought forever and folded. I think he may have had Q-high w/ a counterfeited low and given it up. Or dry K and a low draw. Either way, I believe I got really lucky that he gave up...

I'm pretty sure my play on the turn was -EV, because against this guy I definitely can't claim to believe my hand is good. And I have to catch him with less then K-high flush or Q-high flush w/ low-draw two-thirds of the time to break even, right? Just doesn't seem likely, given that he's OOP (in position, steal from him more likely).