Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   continuation bets (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=356598)

awarunn 10-13-2005 02:23 AM

continuation bets

when is it a no-no to continuation bet in a 6-handed game. Assuming you raised preflop 3-5x BB and you miss the flop? I think I do this too much. I do it just about everytime unless there are about 3 other people in pot with me.
What kind of flop textures and what kind of players should I look out for? Also what position makes for a more effective continuation bet?

villainy 10-13-2005 02:32 AM

Re: continuation bets

There is a lot to your question. A thorough discussion of continuation bets and suitable flop texture can be found in Part 8 of Harrington on Hold 'em (Vol. 2)

awarunn 10-13-2005 02:36 AM

well let's discuss...I don't think this is a waste of time. I'm sure we all have our own ideas (not to say we should ignore what Harrington says). I know there are a lot of very good players in this forum that play 6-handed and I would like to hear their opinions. I've just moved up to 200 NL in the 6 handed games and would like to get some advice from the experts in order to plug my leaks.

orange 10-13-2005 03:02 AM

I usually only continuation bet when its HU. 2 player CB can bet argued, but it also depends on flop texture, stack sizes, position, player types, etc etc etc...

I usually make a continuation bet when a picture is on board:

I have AK/raise PF/goes HU

Flop: Q 3 8r

I usually bet representing the Q. I'm more inclined to make CB against known players. Against larger fields (3+), I don't think CBs are as effective.

You are looking to bet against players who can lay down hands. Against calling stations-CBs are no good IMO.

The position of a CB matters on the opponent. When you are the Preflop raiser, it is generally checked to you on the flop- you don't really need position unless you are against a weak tight nit (in which case, you can bet early and he folds, such as the small blind).

Just some rambling. I Would appreciate it if someone could give some input on my thoughts- if its right/wrong, etc.

10-13-2005 03:19 AM

On poker ace hud I have vp$p, pfr and how often they fold to a flop bet after a raise percentage....do that and it will work wonders. I make CB bets depending on the flop and such of course but how often my opponent has been calling flop bets wieghs into my decision heavily.

awarunn 10-13-2005 10:39 AM

I like your advice...I definitely think I should cut back and be more selective with my continuation bets. I usually won't continuation bet with 3 others in the pot. When there are 1 or 2 in the pot with me it seems like my continuation bet works about 7 out of 10 times (I honestly do it about everytime, which is a problem). If I'm betting a little over half the pot (this varies) then the play is +EV right?

I know there are problems aside from EV with CBing every time. Against a tough player I'm simply way too predictable.. so if I'm playing against tougher opponents I assume my CB success rate would drastically go down.

SeattleJake 10-13-2005 02:23 PM

I agree. A Q or J-high disconnected board is a good time for it. I think you'll find yourself saving money when you stop doing it habitually.

10-13-2005 02:30 PM

I like to put in a lot of continuation bets, representing hands is a strong way to play poker. Its hard to defend against unless you're up against a good player who isnt multitabling and paying attention to how many cbets u make. In about 8/10 hands that i raise pf i will throw out a Cbet into 2 other players or less. Avoid C betting into call stations and when the flop brings 3 to a straight or a flush. Also if you are pretty sure someone has hit the flop somehow like 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] then you mite just want to check it.