Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Two Plus Two Internet Magazine (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   450 lbs. of green tomatoes (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=352720)

Phat Mack 10-07-2005 06:23 PM

450 lbs. of green tomatoes

A lot of astonishing things in the mag this month, not the least of which is that Zee has 450 lbs of green tomatoes still on the vine in Montana. I don't think they'll ripen before they're ruined, but I'm here to help. Ray's thinking fried green tomatoes, but I have a couple of better ideas.

1. Make them into curry, then freeze the curry. Green tomatoes are great in curry, can be frozen in individual portions, then nuked and poured over (in Ray's case, brown organic) rice. Yum.

2. Pickle them into chow chow. Some people make chow chow out of cabbage, but it's best made from green tomatoes. Haven't had any since my grandmother died, but trust me on this, green tomato chow chow is great on hamburgers. Double Yum!

If anybody has any better ideas, please tell Ray. Soon.

Ulysses 10-07-2005 07:05 PM

Re: 450 lbs. of green tomatoes

[ QUOTE ]
Pickle them into chow chow.

[/ QUOTE ]

You ever have an Antone's po' boy?

Phat Mack 10-07-2005 07:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Pickle them into chow chow.

[/ QUOTE ]

You ever have an Antone's po' boy?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. Details?

Sniper 10-07-2005 11:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
2. Pickle them into chow chow.

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't chow chow a breed of dog? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Ray Zee 10-07-2005 11:16 PM

hey never heard of chow chow. wthii.

most of the tomatoes will ripen in the basement the next three months. not as good as if they ripened on the vine but sill 18 times better than the crap you get in the market grown to fit in a box.

the fried green tomatoes are good as well but i get sick of them quickly. much will be made into the winters pasta sauce in the vita mix. i welcome any suggestions

my garage now is full of buckets of the things as well as eating pumkins, potatoes, onions, garlic and such. most of the rest will go into the root cellar outside.

i am a farmer now you know.

fyodor 10-08-2005 12:27 AM

I could get you a good chow chow recipe from my mom if you like.

Where I grew up the season was never long enough for tomatoes so we always ended wrapping them in newpaper and putting them in the cupboard to ripen.

daryn 10-08-2005 01:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
wthii

[/ QUOTE ]

nice. maybe ray really is an OOT guy deep down

Phat Mack 10-08-2005 01:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
hey never heard of chow chow. wthii.

[/ QUOTE ]

ABC Recipe

Similar to my grandmother's. You can use the same crock you make saurkraut in.

Cajun recipe that looks similar to what is sold in stores. Too much cabbage or not enough green tomatoes.

TwoNiner 10-08-2005 03:29 AM

Houston's Antione's, El Diablo? Damn good sandwich. The chow chow is the relish type dressing you put on Po-boys, and other things of the sort.

Ray Zee 10-08-2005 10:04 AM

i will try making some of that relish chow chow. i dont think i could eat more than maybe one jar in a year though. it looks good. beats having a giant tomato fight with the rotten ones in the winter.