Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Micro-Limits (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Weak/tight to go into calldown mode? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=352069)

Baloosh 10-06-2005 08:31 PM

Weak/tight to go into calldown mode?

I had Villain (UTG) here read as a TAG, so when he bets into me again on the turn, I slowed down. Do I bet/fold this river? MP1 was a typical maroon.

All comments appreciated.

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: (9.50 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button folds, UTG calls, MP1 calls.

Turn: (7.75 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, MP1 calls, Hero calls.

River: (10.75 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, MP1 checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 10.75 BB

bozlax 10-06-2005 08:39 PM

Re: Weak/tight to go into calldown mode?

I doubt that 3 really helped him. I think he's more likely to be playing a weaker K or maybe AT, and doesn't want to give up a free card to your flush draw. I raise the turn, call a 3-bet, and then see what happens on the river. The way you played it, I bet the river.

numeri 10-06-2005 09:29 PM

If you read him as a TAG, his play is transparent.

He bet in to you with a pair or decent draw, bet the turn to not give a free card, and then gave up on the river. Raise the turn. At least bet the river.

Baloosh 10-07-2005 06:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]

He bet in to you with a pair or decent draw, bet the turn to not give a free card, and then gave up on the river. Raise the turn. At least bet the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting. I thought his betting out meant "I'm not scared of getting raised." But a TAG here would go for the check-raise instead, right?

Paxosmotic 10-07-2005 06:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting. I thought his betting out meant "I'm not scared of getting raised." But a TAG here would go for the check-raise instead, right?

[/ QUOTE ]
His bet there means absolutely nothing, your TAG read is incorrect. If the 3 helped him, he would check/raise. If it didn't help him, he would check/raise. Your read should have been "guy who plays tight and saw a few episodes of the WSOP." Raise and take away the money he was going to buy Mike Sexton's book with.

10-07-2005 07:20 AM

Raise turn

Bet river

sean c 10-07-2005 08:25 AM

Raise the turn and bet the river. FWIW i think your read on this player is wrong i can't imagine what hand he could have and play it this way. If he had a weak king he should have check/raised the flop or at least bet the river for value. If he had a draw he should have checked the turn and whatever he has he should have raised with pre flop from UTG unless this is just a super loose 5+ to every flop type game.

Baloosh 10-07-2005 09:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]

His bet there means absolutely nothing, your TAG read is incorrect. If the 3 helped him, he would check/raise. If it didn't help him, he would check/raise. Your read should have been "guy who plays tight and saw a few episodes of the WSOP." Raise and take away the money he was going to buy Mike Sexton's book with.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really, REALLY need to work on my reading. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

10-07-2005 09:39 AM

This donk bet looks like he trying to find out if you were raising a FD or if you really have the K. His hand isn't strong enough to 3 bet you on the flop, so he probably has KJ or KQ. I'd raise and check the river (assuming MP called the turn if you had raised) if a spade or straight card comes, and bet it otherwise . The way you played it, you can bet this river as it's doubtful they'd go for a C-R after you only called the turn.

10-07-2005 09:42 AM

A tag might not necessarily go for a C-R on this draw heavy board since there's a good chance you'd take the free card, but he would definitely 3bet the flop -- sending 2 back to MP -- if he had 2 pair or better. His play reeks of weakness.