Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Was I right to go for the overcall on this river? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=352051)

catlover 10-06-2005 08:21 PM

Was I right to go for the overcall on this river?

. . . or would it have been better to raise?

PokerStars 30/60 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Hero posts a blind of $30.
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero (poster) raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, MP3 calls.

Flop: (8.50 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, MP3 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds, UTG calls, MP3 calls.

Turn: (5.75 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, MP3 checks, Hero checks.

River: (5.75 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, Hero calls, with UTG still to act . . .

Final Pot: 7.75 BB

teddyFBI 10-06-2005 09:05 PM

Re: Was I right to go for the overcall on this river?

I like a raise here.

Unlikely that UTG checks a flush on river.
MP3 bets any ace here. Maybe even many Queens.
3-bet puts you in a tough spot, but i probably throw up a little bit and call.

amulet 10-06-2005 09:26 PM

an overcall, when someone could have a back door flush? even having said that i like a raise, it would be hard for utg to call here with 2 opponents in (no reraise) and that board. i think you are more likely to win 2 bets from the river bettor then 1 from both.

the flop play is a big mistake. you have J high, and a hand that plays well vs a lot of people. let them come in.
JTs is not a raising hand under most circumstances, if you raise with it you will usually be giving away $.

teddyFBI 10-06-2005 09:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
an overcall, when someone could have a back door flush? even having said that i like a raise, it would be hard for utg to call here with 2 opponents in (no reraise) and that board. i think you are more likely to win 2 bets from the river bettor then 1 from both.

the flop play is a big mistake. you have J high, and a hand that plays well vs a lot of people. let them come in.
JTs is not a raising hand under most circumstances, if you raise with it you will usually be giving away $.

[/ QUOTE ]

I assume you meant the PRE-flop play, not flop play (which is fine w/ OESD).

amulet 10-06-2005 10:17 PM

preflop yes.

amulet 10-06-2005 10:21 PM

however, if jacks are wild then it is a strong play.