Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   44:Monotone:set (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=350950)

orange 10-05-2005 11:53 AM

44:Monotone:set

.25/.50 NL home game, 6 handed. Funky structure (everyone bought in for $20, so stacks are pretty short). Game is really loose, with alot of action.

Hero hasn't done much this session, been cold carded. Hero has $25ish and is TAG.

Villan is super loose. He's a calling station, although I have seen him fire $5 into $2 pots with bottom pair- semi-maniacal. He has been like a rollercoaster this game, and he is currently chip leader at table (~$60ish). He likes suited cards and really cannot lay down TP if his life depended on it. He's pretty bad. Villan is in MP.

Hero is on button with 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

PF- Everyone limps, BB knocks. 6 to the flop.

($3)Flop: 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
All check to Villan, who bets $2. Hero calls, EP calls.

($9)Turn: K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
EP checks, Villan checks, Hero bets $7, EP folds, Villan calls.

($23)Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Villan checks, Hero bets $12

Lately, I have had difficulty playing monotone flops with stronger hands (2 pair, set). I am usually torn between raising the flop or flat calling (hoping to boat up).

I know many(if not all) will advocating raising this flop.

The turn/river bets will enable villan to call with almost any pair- I don't think he has the Ace, and fears it.

People_Mover 10-05-2005 12:04 PM

Re: 44:Monotone:set

Not raising that flop sucks. I pot it and put the rest in on the turn.

nuSFwck 10-05-2005 12:44 PM

yeah i'd raise the flop.

you said he sucks at folding, so why not raise? you hope he has an ace, but maybe he has a large club that paired up on the turn or river.

i think if you 1/2 pot it on the turn and river, he's compelled to call. that is the kind of bet that is just small enough for a non-folder to look you up with a weak Kclubs or something similar.

actually, looking back at the hand, i like how you played it. given your call on the flop, i like your bet on the turn, but i think you could have gotten a little more out of him on the river. you haven't shown much aggression (i.e. you didn't raise flop), so he'll prob look you up if you bet like $15-17ish. i like your line, though.

wdeadwyler 10-05-2005 06:12 PM

Against bad players, Im raising the flop and pot commiting myself on the turn. There is no way I am folding at any point before the 4th club hits. It is a shame you didnt get the money in. You said yourself he cant fold TP, so crush him!

Riposte 10-05-2005 06:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Against bad players, Im raising the flop and pot commiting myself on the turn. There is no way I am folding at any point before the 4th club hits. It is a shame you didnt get the money in. You said yourself he cant fold TP, so crush him!

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too.

Malachii 10-05-2005 06:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Not raising that flop sucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

orange 10-05-2005 06:36 PM

Ok. Thanks for the replies so far. Say I raise to $8 (the flop). The K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] comes on the turn. I'm guessing he either has a pair+ [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]draw or just a [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]draw. Do I push, despite the obvious flush out?

Part of my motives for not raising this flop were the short stacks. I felt if I could boat up, I could bet much more freely against a multi way field. Scared poker? maybe.

nuSFwck 10-05-2005 06:49 PM

if you read him for a [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and a pair, why would you push if a fourth [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] came out? he doesn't like to fold, he'll probably call with most any club.

if another club fell, i wouldn't get tricky.

DyessMan89 10-05-2005 06:58 PM

Im making a big raise on the flop. Not just a normal sweetner, but a healthy size one. Make it atleast 12 bucks.

Reason being? Hes a loose player, a calling station, and I dont want to see another club come and force me to lay it down or draw. I dont like taking the "high %" play here and playing it slow, I like the "small %" but big payout play and making a large raise. Im getting the rest in on the turn if a non-club falls.

orange 10-05-2005 07:01 PM

Ok, so you like pot-commiting yourself? That means pushing the turn regardless of a [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] then right? I would have less than a PSB left.