Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Micro-Limits (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   AA Runs Into Four Flush (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=347864)

ninjaunderwear 09-30-2005 07:16 PM

AA Runs Into Four Flush

No read here, but I don't think a read would help any in this situation.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: (5 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls.

Turn: (3.50 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (5.50 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero ???</font>.

When SB wakes up on the turn four-flush, I quickly called behind. Folding is out of the question. [In hindsight, a raise has some merit.]

If SB caught a flush, he doesn't seem too confident about it on the river. If I bet, any hands that can call me have me beat. However, there is a chance I can fold a 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].

In such a small pot, is there any value in betting here? Or should I just take the free showdown? Is it even close?

benkath1 09-30-2005 07:20 PM

Re: AA Runs Into Four Flush

I take the free showdown, and hate myself for doing it.

hemstock 09-30-2005 07:22 PM

Just check behind.
He will call you only if he beats you.
And getting check-raised would feel really really bad.

SoftcoreRevolt 10-01-2005 02:21 AM

Yeah, just check the river here. You are probably ahead here, but he's not paying you off.

10-01-2005 03:25 AM

Id say he is ahead with a midrange diamond. But from your actions he is scared you have a better one so isnt willing to put more than one bet in on the river.

Check and expect to lose.

10-01-2005 03:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I take the free showdown, and hate myself for doing it.

[/ QUOTE ]

i do the same and curse myself for being weak tight.

ninjaunderwear 10-01-2005 10:32 AM

Could a river bet possibly scare off a small diamond? I don't think we fear a check-raise here.

On the turn, if I'm behind, I have outs, so a call seems most appropriate. But what do you make of a raise on the turn? Aggression here offers the same potential of folding a small diamond, and it could earn us a "free" showdown. (SB wouldn't usually lead here and then check the turn so ignore the river when analyzing the turn)

Lunar Tweak 10-01-2005 10:50 AM

yes, your logic for raising the turn is on point and the best line for this situation.

Redd 10-01-2005 11:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
yes, your logic for raising the turn is on point and the best line for this situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

A turn raise is no good here because we're going to be 3-bet over 50% of the time and charge ourselves an extra 2BB to draw. And we're very rarely folding a small [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] here.

And IMO the river is an easy check behind. This is a small [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] or a stupid check-raise much more often than a bluff. And if villain is bluffing and has no diamond, he's rarely going to pay you off.

AussieBattler 10-01-2005 12:06 PM

grunch

I play the same and hope to boat up at the river.

check behind and expect to see a medium (crappy)diamond

without reads I just call this turn and I check this river. a check raise would be nasty and for meta game purposes I really wanna see what he bet with on the turn....