Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Suggestions on learning to drive a stick shift (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=345699)

Moneyline 09-27-2005 07:45 PM

Suggestions on learning to drive a stick shift

I want to learn how to drive a stick shift, but I don't know anyone who can teach me how. I called the local driving schools, but none of them will teach it either. I've posted ads on internet message boards offering to pay someone for lessons, but I haven't had any replies. Anyone have ideas on how I can learn to drive a car with a manual transmission?

TIA...

Cancer Merchant 09-27-2005 07:47 PM

Re: Suggestions on learning to drive a stick shift

Grab ten bucks in quarters and find an arcade with Cruisin USA. Select the manual, and practice till you get the idea.

Patrick del Poker Grande 09-27-2005 07:47 PM

Hmmm.... I'm thinking you kind of need to know someone who can teach you. Otherwise, we can describe the general mechanics for you and you can take some junker out to an empty lot somewhere to practice and figure it out on your own. It's mostly just getting the feel for when the clutch grabs.

Popinjay 09-27-2005 07:47 PM

Try an ad on craigslist.

Patrick del Poker Grande 09-27-2005 07:48 PM

Although, I guess in order to get the junker to the lot, you either have to be able to drive it there or get someone to bring it there for you, in which case you might as well have them show you how to drive it.

Patrick del Poker Grande 09-27-2005 07:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Try an ad on craigslist.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes. This would probably have a higher chance of success if you were a good looking woman. You're not by chance a good looking woman, are you?

theben 09-27-2005 07:49 PM

find a friend and hope hes got a crappy car

MelchyBeau 09-27-2005 07:49 PM

You don't know anyone who knows how to drive a stick? If you can find someone who can teach you, but doesn't have a car to teach you with then rent a car with a manual transimission.

Melch

mostsmooth 09-27-2005 07:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You don't know anyone who knows how to drive a stick? If you can find someone who can teach you, but doesn't have a car to teach you with then rent a car with a manual transimission.

Melch

[/ QUOTE ]
do they even rent cars with manual trans? i thought they were all automatics?
if they do, this is the best idea

jakethebake 09-27-2005 07:52 PM

I assume you're male? Otherwise you're just wasting your time.