Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Micro-Limits (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Ok to Slowplay TPTK against One Player? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=343905)

Student Caine 09-25-2005 04:02 AM

Ok to Slowplay TPTK against One Player?

So lately I have run into quite a few hands where I get to the flop with AK or AQ against one other player and wind up getting folded to when I bet.

I was thinking of slowplaying in these situations because I think it may help my action. Does anyone check a flop like the one below in hopes of getting the blind to stick around for the later streets or am I looking to cost myself money in the long run?

Party Poker 1.00/2.00 Hold'em <font color="#0000FF">(9 handed)</font> link

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (4.50 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds.

Final Pot: 2.75 BB.

TomBrooks 09-25-2005 04:13 AM

Re: Ok to Slowplay TPTK against One Player?

I have been betting out in this kind of situation and find I get too many folds. I'm going to start checking the flop HU.

thesharpie 09-25-2005 04:13 AM

Nope. I bet when I miss so why would I check when I hit?

digitalis 09-25-2005 04:41 AM

I don't think TP is ever strong enough to slowplay. Your opponent might have something like a GS on this board. Or he could pick up a strong draw on the turn, or make two pair on the turn, etc. Just way too many ways you can be beaten.

You will lose pots if you slowplay here.

I know it sucks, but just take your small pot and be happy.

09-25-2005 04:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Ed Zachary.
The value comes from when you don't hit, not when you do.[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

deepsquat 09-25-2005 04:47 AM

unless the player is very tight you should bet. It looks ultra fishy on an Ace or K high flop to check.

digitalis 09-25-2005 05:21 AM

Aren't you still going to have trouble picking up bets from a very tight player on the turn?

If he doesn't like this flop enough to call a SB, what could come on the turn that would cause him to call a BB, that you would like him to call?

deepsquat 09-25-2005 05:31 AM

A draw, a pair etc. A tight player isnt going to call a flop bet on a K or A high drawless flop unless they have an A or K on most occassions.

Generally speaking im betting most flops i raise HU or 3 handed. When someone raises pf and checks to me HU i usually get very suspicious.

TomBrooks 09-25-2005 05:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Good point

TomBrooks 09-25-2005 05:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Good point. Although a lot of the time I bet when I miss because I want them to fold. In this hand, I'd rather they stay.