Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Honesty. (l/c) (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=342046)

crosse91 09-22-2005 12:13 PM

Honesty. (l/c)

i personally had a horrible poker day yesterday. I lost approx. 1/3 of my roll. Pretty gross eh? I took a shot a limits above my roll and lost. Then i backed down to my usual limits and got pounded. No semi=bluffs would work. Never had a draw come in. Hit 3 sets in 5 hours+ of play. Sure the cards weren't great, but neither was my play. I am not dissappointed in the amount of money that was lost but rather how i lost that money. I would call with suited 1 gappers oop and then proceed to call a potsized bet with my pair of 8's. No wonder i lost so much. Thing is, there's always tomorrow. This is/was my big downswing and i'm ready to come out firing this afternoon for an hour and half. You can find me at 200nl b/c that's what my roll can support right now. And you know, bring your A game, b/c i'm going to have mine.

This was going to be a post about how not to stretch yourself thin, but instead its more self-help. Deal. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

GrunchCan 09-22-2005 12:20 PM

Re: Honesty. (l/c)

Thanks for posting this.

I'm running bad. I'm down something like 10 buyins at 25 NL 6-max. In 5k hands, my losing sessions have outnumbered my winning sessions by something like 3:1. I know that the authors all say they have all gone broke at one point or another, but 10 buyins is a lot. One poster who I respect has said that there's no way a good player can ever go down more than 4. I wouldn't say I'm great at NL, but I also woulnd't say I'm bad. My results disagree with my self-assesment.

I'm up lifetime a lot, but most was cashed out to life stuff. For the first time in 18 months, if things continue the way they have, I'll soon be faced with the decision to reload or quit for good.

Reality bites sometimes, and the truth hurts.

Ghazban 09-22-2005 12:23 PM

This looks like a thinly veiled bad beat/bad play post.

So I get to chime in and tell everybody that, of the 53 times I was dealt a pocket pair yesterday (in 1005 hands), I didn't flop a single set [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

I made one boneheaded mistake for my stack and ended the day down 1 buyin. I should've broken even despite no sets but didn't; oh well.

amoeba 09-22-2005 12:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for posting this.

I'm running bad. I'm down something like 10 buyins at 25 NL 6-max. In 5k hands, my losing sessions have outnumbered my winning sessions by something like 3:1. I know that the authors all say they have all gone broke at one point or another, but 10 buyins is a lot. One poster who I respect has said that there's no way a good player can ever go down more than 4. I wouldn't say I'm great at NL, but I also woulnd't say I'm bad. My results disagree with my self-assesment.

I'm up lifetime a lot, but most was cashed out to life stuff. For the first time in 18 months, if things continue the way they have, I'll soon be faced with the decision to reload or quit for good.

Reality bites sometimes, and the truth hurts.

[/ QUOTE ]

that 4 buyin rule is really BS. good players can and have lost 4 buyins within an hour.

subzero 09-22-2005 12:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So I get to chime in and tell everybody that, of the 53 times I was dealt a pocket pair yesterday (in 1005 hands), I didn't flop a single set [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
You were just waiting for the opportunity to post this. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

A couple days ago, I ran into 3 boats in four straight hands. I won't even post the hands since I played poorly on 2 of the hands. Lost 3 buy-ins, but I'm well-bankrolled at 50NL.

crosse91 09-22-2005 12:30 PM

not supposed to be a bad beat, my point is that they don't mattter much, i should be able to overcome them. Its the bad play that pisses me off. Btw, we all need some group therapy sometimes... [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

dtbog 09-22-2005 12:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
that 4 buyin rule is really BS. good players can and have lost 4 buyins within an hour.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that rule predates the current era, in which we can play 4 tables at once.

subzero 09-22-2005 12:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
...Btw, we all need some group therapy sometimes... [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
Absolutely. We've all been there. You know you can play well if you try to. So get out there and do it! Good luck.

crosse91 09-22-2005 12:38 PM

it's also bad time b/c i took money out to just enjoy like a week ago..... (/brag) oh well Steamboat will be fun (\brag)

dtbog 09-22-2005 12:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A couple days ago, I ran into 3 boats in four straight hands. I won't even post the hands since I played poorly on 2 of the hands. Lost 3 buy-ins, but I'm well-bankrolled at 50NL.

[/ QUOTE ]

You know, if you admitted you played the hands poorly, the fact that villains had boats is pretty inconsequential.

Go back and look at the hands -- just make sure you don't make the same mistake next time.

-dB