Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   88 against blind steal - Turn Play (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=341849)

ep510 09-22-2005 02:12 AM

88 against blind steal - Turn Play

button is your typical TAG

What's your plan on the turn?

Party Poker 5.00/10.00 Hold'em <font color="#0000FF">(6 handed)</font> link

Preflop: Hero is BB with 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, Button calls.

Flop: (6.40 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls.

Turn: (4.20 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero?

newhizzle 09-22-2005 02:29 AM

Re: 88 against blind steal - Turn Play

id take another stab, probly fold to a raise

Azhrarn 09-22-2005 02:42 AM

My first instinct is bet/call, with a plan of folding the river unimproved if you are raised on the turn.

As an alternative, since you're not sure if you have a made hand or a drawing hand, you could go check/call, check/call. Works best against bluff/semibluff happy opponents. I'm not sure how good of a line it is against an average TAG, though.

Bodhi 09-22-2005 04:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My first instinct is bet/call, with a plan of folding the river unimproved if you are raised on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]
That's the worst line possible.

Bet-fold seems ok here. If he calls your turn bet you're toast 90% of the time.

ep510 09-22-2005 04:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Bet-fold seems ok here. If he calls your turn bet you're toast 90% of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

You do realize I still have the (relatively weak) flush draw, right?

Bodhi 09-22-2005 04:04 AM

[img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] It's late, I missed it.

Anyway, I'd be more concerned here about giving a free card to a bigger [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] flush-draw than making one myself. That still makes bet-call a heck of a lot better, I admit.

ep510 09-22-2005 04:06 AM

1. If I bet the turn, and villian raises, what range of hands do you put him on? Given that range, what's your play?

2. If I bet the turn, and villian calls, what range do you put him on? Given this range, what's your river play?

Based on your answers to (1) and (2), is betting superior to checking, or vice versa? Why?

09-22-2005 05:21 AM

I think, this is really a very interesting hand, as it describes a standard problem.

My question is, as the button does not know your hand, whether a check/raise on the turn is possible and will the button make fold? And if a heart hits the river, you're maybe even in front, which I don't suppose at the moment: Which bigger heart could he have, which is not already on the table? Not so much.

ep510 09-22-2005 08:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think, this is really a very interesting hand, as it describes a standard problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, but seems like everyone else doesn't [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img].

ep510 09-22-2005 08:12 PM

What hands would villian wait till turn to raise here? A set seems unlikely unless it's 22, because he probably would've capped pf. A pair or two pair doesn't seem likely to me either since he (most likely?) would want to raise the flop to charge the many possible draws on the flop. If he flopped the FD or OESD, I see him raising flop (usually).

Therefore, I think it's more likely that villian has something along the lines of Ahx, AxQh, or AxJh.

What do you guys think?