Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   One-table Tournaments (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   The Basics of One-Table Tournaments (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=341567)

09-21-2005 05:41 PM

The Basics of One-Table Tournaments

I've been a lurker since about the start of summer around Two Plus Two, and have, at least what I think, is a general strategy summary regarding different stages of a tournament. I'd appreciate any feedback/comments/flaming/corrections in my post.

Early/middle stages: Call, in late position, with mid- and high-suited connectors, and small pocket pairs for set value (89s, 66). Avoid ugly Broadway cards with middle/bad kickers (A8, K10). Always raise with premium hands (99+, AQs+). Don't bet draws against more than one opponent.

Bubble play: Mix it up. Push any small edges. Don't wait for big hands, as you'll have less folding equity. Use first in vigor, espcially in late position. Loosen up starting requirements.

I feel like I've got a good picture, but am still missing some stuff. Any help would be appreciated.

KingDan 09-21-2005 05:49 PM

Re: The Basics of One-Table Tournaments

[ QUOTE ]
Bubble play: Mix it up. Push any small edges. Don't wait for big hands, as you'll have less folding equity. Use first in vigor, espcially in late position. Loosen up starting requirements.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bubble play is a lot more complicated than just pushing small edges.
At times it is inccorect for you to call even being a 2-1 favorite to win the hand.

A piece of advice: when the blinds get high HU, push a lot.

Edit: probably a much better piece of of advice is to not call all-ins with Aces. When I started out in Stts I really overvalued them.

09-21-2005 05:56 PM

Not call all-ins with aces? I assume you mean after the flop and you hit a pair of aces, not preflop pocket aces, corect?

KingDan 09-21-2005 05:59 PM

I meant a hand like a6o.

09-21-2005 06:17 PM

Lol, I'm glad he made that distinction. "Aces" are really different from "Ace-Rag".

valenzuela 09-21-2005 06:29 PM

Youre probably missing experience. Just my guess.

caretaker1 09-21-2005 08:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]

At times it is inccorect for you to call even being a 2-1 favorite to win the hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not doubting you, but could you provide a concrete example of this? I find the possibility interesting.

Thank you.

09-21-2005 08:33 PM

BB 3250
SB 3250
UTG 250
UTG+1 250

SB goes all-in and you are the BB...what do you call with?

09-21-2005 08:47 PM

Pick up Harrington on Hold'em Vol. 1.

It will be the best time/money u have ever spent.

This post is excellent reading too

09-21-2005 09:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Pick up Harrington on Hold'em Vol. 1.

It will be the best time/money u have ever spent.

This post is excellent reading too

[/ QUOTE ]
After you read Volume I, go ahead and read Volume II