Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Need new car $15-20k range (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=341503)

obsidian 09-21-2005 03:59 PM

Need new car $15-20k range

I'm in the market for a new or decent used car (2003 or later) in the $15k-$20k range. I'm young so something sporty would be nice. Some options I've heard are Scion tc and Mazda3 but I'm open to most anything.

09-21-2005 05:24 PM

Re: Need new car $15-20k range

I just bought a new 2005 Mazda 3 and I love it. Very sporty and practical at the same time. It handles quite nicely.
I got the 2.0 (the 2.3 is only a 12 horsepower difference) with the only upgrade being the power package - total was $15,400
Go test drive one, you'll like it.

handsome 09-21-2005 06:02 PM

This has been done X times (X = very large number). Lancer EVO or WRX STi.

JoeC 09-21-2005 06:05 PM

I really didn't like the tC. Interior design was too X-games, for lack of a better term. You should look at a new Honda Civic; also, you could probably get an Accord LX for right around 19-20k if you make a good deal

Patrick del Poker Grande 09-21-2005 06:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This has been done X times (X = very large number). Lancer EVO or WRX STi.

[/ QUOTE ]
These cars MSRP at or above $30k.

The Yugoslavian 09-21-2005 06:07 PM

Ford Focus. Test drive one, you'll be surprised when you then drive a Corolla/Honda/Mazda 3 or whatever.

Yugoslav

Patrick del Poker Grande 09-21-2005 06:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ford Focus. Test drive one, you'll be surprised when you then drive a Corolla/Honda/Mazda 3 or whatever.

Yugoslav

[/ QUOTE ]
Okay, there are two possible ways to interpret this, depending on what you have your sarcasm meter set to.

1) You mean that the Focus is surprisingly good and better than the equivalent Toyota/Honda/Mazda.

To this, I reply: ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR [censored] MIND? This is the stupidest thing I've ever heard. The Focus is a pile of [censored] and nothing more.

2) You mean that, after driving the Focus, your expectations will be lowered so low that driving any car immediately afterward feels like you're driving a Porsche Carerra.

This I will agree with. The Focus is a piece of [censored] and it makes a weedwacker-engine-powered scooter look attractive.

The Yugoslavian 09-21-2005 06:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

This I will agree with. The Focus is a piece of [censored] and it makes a weedwacker-engine-powered scooter look attractive.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, you're usually spot on about most things. I mean, you're a f*ckin rocket scientist!

But on this topic you're way, way, way off.

I'm talking about a new Ford Focus, of course. Ones from a couple years ago and back were significantly worse...I likely wouldn't go near one of those.

Yugoslav

TheMetetron 09-21-2005 07:01 PM

I own a tC. They are really, really good for the price. Toyota dependability, too. All glass roof is the deal-maker though... I love it.

That said, I'm holding back not trying to break down and buy an M3 convertible. Once the ones with the new design come out, I'm not sure if I'll be able to resist laying down $70k and riding off in the car squealing like a little school girl.

But yeah, for your price range, tC is a great option.

Edit: Get a stick.

Patrick del Poker Grande 09-21-2005 07:04 PM

There is no realistic circumstance that I can imagine, outside of some situation where you're working for Ford or something, where the words "buy a Focus" would be anywhere near good advice.