Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   One-table Tournaments (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Harrington's call (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=340849)

QUADS4444 09-20-2005 04:34 PM

Harrington\'s call

Harrington Volume II, page 348,

Three handed STT NL.
Blinds 250/500
No reads.

Button (4140) raises to 1000.
SB (3480) folds.
Hero BB (2380) with Q6o.

Harrington recommends a CALL.

Does anybody else have a problem with this? Sure pot odds are tempting 3.5/1, but OOP with Q6o????? What are your minimum calling requirements here?

schwza 09-20-2005 04:45 PM

Re: Harrington\'s call

lemme tell you, they don't include Q6.

09-20-2005 04:56 PM

Well.. we are ITM. I can see a stop and go, but my first instinct is definitely fold.

RedRum 09-20-2005 04:58 PM

I would only call this if I planned on stop-n-go on any flop. I don't use stop-n-go very often, but this looks like a good spot.

Drink More,
RedRum

09-20-2005 05:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would only call this if I planned on stop-n-go on any flop. I don't use stop-n-go very often, but this looks like a good spot.

Drink More,
RedRum

[/ QUOTE ]

Well that's not Harrington's plan, he check/folds a JTx flop.

raptor517 09-20-2005 05:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Drink More,
RedRum

[/ QUOTE ]

Well that's not Harrington's plan, he check/folds a JTx flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think thats a leak. holla

Indiana 09-20-2005 05:18 PM

Harrington recommends a lot of stuff that you have to take with a grain of salt. Pushing in EP with KJo and 8 guys behind you just because your "M" is getting close to the red zone is ridiculous. Good book, but not everything is correct.

Indy

09-20-2005 05:20 PM

...yea it does. It's not even close, it's an easy call. What are you afraid of to not call a 3.5-to-1? You have better odds than that against JACKS. Sure you won't know if your queen is any good even if you hit it, but what does it matter? He doesn't know if his hand is any good either. You have to assume that any high pair is good when the blinds are that high.

...yea it does. It's not even close, it's an easy call. What are you afraid of to not call a 3.5-to-1? You have better odds than that against JACKS. Sure you won't know if your queen is any good even if you hit it, but what does it matter? He doesn't know if his hand is any good either. You have to assume that any high pair is good when the blinds are that high.

Edit: To answer the question about calling requirements, I would say Jack-crap is borderline. This is not because now you can be an underdog to a slightly larger field. It's because you should stuff your money in with medium pair or better when the blinds are this high, but a pair of jacks has a far bigger chance of losing to a better pair than a pair of queens.

bigt439 09-20-2005 05:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Harrington Volume II, page 348,

Three handed STT NL.
Blinds 250/500
No reads.

Button (4140) raises to 1000.
SB (3480) folds.
Hero BB (2380) with Q6o.

Harrington recommends a CALL.

Does anybody else have a problem with this? Sure pot odds are tempting 3.5/1, but OOP with Q6o????? What are your minimum calling requirements here?

[/ QUOTE ]

A couple months ago there was an entire thread on here tearing apart roughly 20 different scenarios presented in volume 2. The general consensus, from very good sit and go players, was that volume 1 was a much better book and that some of the things in volume 2 are just plain wrong.

raptor517 09-20-2005 05:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

hes not all in preflop. following yer advice you should call with any 2. that is just plain wrong. holla