Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Internet Gambling (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Why will online poker dry up? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=340051)

Pirc Defense 09-19-2005 01:40 PM

Why will online poker dry up?

I've seen several people mention that online poker is due for a "drying up" sometime soon. Why?

Jimbo 09-19-2005 09:01 PM

Re: Why will online poker dry up?

When no one is left but bots. In about five years right Pirc?

BigBiceps 09-19-2005 09:05 PM

I don't know, it seems like the losers will run out of money eventually. But then again, there is a sucker born every minute.

I have played on 4 sites so far (Party, Paradise, Stars, UB) and won on all of them. If I am winning, and the poker sites are winning (with the rake), I am just wondering who is doing all of the losing?

JonPKibble 09-19-2005 09:18 PM

I don't think it will happen anytime soon --- when will slot machines "dry up"?

09-19-2005 09:29 PM

The reason why some people speculate is because it is a fad. Why did Pog's dry up? How about bell bottom pants? And Pokemon?

JonPKibble 09-19-2005 09:32 PM

Poker is not a fad. Poker has been around for decades. People are just starting to discover it.

Synergistic Explosions 09-19-2005 09:41 PM

Poker is like heroin.

Online poker is like self automated delivery service heroin.

mosdef 09-19-2005 09:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am just wondering who is doing all of the losing?

[/ QUOTE ]

this has been discussed ad nauseum, but the 3 basic food groups for us sharks are:

1. gambling addicts (somewhat rare, but they contribute a lot of dough)
2. players willingly exchanging small amounts of dough for entertainment (personally i think this is a huge slice of the pie)
3. delusional people who think that they're actually good because they can "read people" and so on, and who blame all loses on bad luck and credit their "talent" with all wins.

09-19-2005 09:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Poker is not a fad. Poker has been around for decades. People are just starting to discover it.

[/ QUOTE ]

This discussion is about ONLINE POKER, not POKER. Do try to keep up.

popeye18 09-19-2005 10:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
3. delusional people who think that they're actually good because they can "read people" and so on, and who blame all loses on bad luck and credit their "talent" with all wins.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is huge. My friend lost his entire summer eanrings online because "he keeps getting so unlucky". He still puts every paycheck onto a site and will start winning "once his luck turns around".