Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Poker Games (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Having an 87 in your hand is stupid (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=339713)

DeadMoneyOC 09-18-2005 11:49 PM

Having an 87 in your hand is stupid

OK two more situations that I have been having trouble with also...

Do you ever break pat hands in the low stakes on UB? So many times after the second draw I will make a 87632 or something, I will bet because my opponent drew one also, then I am raised, stand pat and call down and lose. Granted, this doesnt happen tooo much, and I actually win some of these showdowns but it seems a majority of the time I am getting smoked. Another one is would go like this...

After second draw guys bets, I raise with my 87542 or something that I CAN break, guy three bets, stands pat, I stand pat, he bets I call and lose. So basically I am asking is how big/small does the pot have to be for me to break this hand and try to redraw to a 7. I have a feeling this is another one of those things I shouldnt really worry about but still...

Parte Dos: When I open a pot with a hand like 8732 and get one customer do you prefer to toss the 8 on occasion? Assume this is against an unknown and you have no idea how he/she plays. What if more than one person calls, say two or maybe even three? I dont really love openeing with 8742 drawing a 6 or something and then be put the situation I talked about above.

Does this make any sense...at all?

I am still running very good. I suck at 2-7 but I am still somehow making money. I think I called bets post draw at last five or six times today with hands I had no business calling bets with. I suck. I am getting slighty* better at extracting value post third draw though. I also tried to 'snow' a guy today. Didnt work. It probably wasnt the right guy to try it on, but hey..live and learn. I played with Mark yesterday when I was 'taking my shot' at the 1-2 game. I was slightly tilted but I had just gone on a mega rush playing .50-1 so it was all gravy. He probably thinks I play really really bad based on the hands he saw:) OK. Adios yall

dibbs 09-19-2005 12:11 AM

Re: Having an 87 in your hand is stupid

Uno: Going back to paying attention to what hands cats will stay pat and raise with (basically, would this guy push a rough 9, T here?), I will often break an 876 in this spot.

Dos: HU If he draws two I stick with it, although he may catch up pretty quick. I hate 8732x in multiway pots for whatever reason.

Was with you in the .5 today, and some general things...

If you have 23xxx or 27xxx dont get involved in a capped pot, just cut your losses pre draw

With three opponents in I wouldn't bother pushing a 97 with two draws left, youll get called down.

I remember one other 87 hand that you played that I found kind of interesting but I fcked up and didn't turn on UH, oops. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

timprov 09-19-2005 12:11 AM

At low stakes, by all means break if you have an 8-out draw to a 7. If you have a worse hand, consider folding. One of the biggest leaks I see in the lower games is people standing pat early and calling down with hands like 97542.

As you move up in stakes (or are playing against slummers such as cunningstunts or me) you need to think about whether we're just trying to make you break. But most players through 1/2 aren't thinking nearly that much.

As a general rule, you want to be much smoother out of position than in position. In position I'd never draw two to 8752 HU, out of position I would fairly often.

Playing 87s and 87 draws well is a very important part of the game. If you just decide to hate them, you won't go very far.

timprov 09-19-2005 12:14 AM

Also, though we don't get a lot of hand history posts here, it's not because we discourage them. Post some hands you suspect you played badly.

dibbs 09-19-2005 12:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]

As a general rule, you want to be much smoother out of position than in position. In position I'd never draw two to 8752 HU, out of position I would fairly often.

[/ QUOTE ]

Quite drunk but I don't get this, do you mean drawing 1 to 8572x, and you'd draw to it in position but not OOP?

DeadMoneyOC 09-19-2005 12:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you have 23xxx or 27xxx dont get involved in a capped pot, just cut your losses pre draw

[/ QUOTE ]

This is sad but true people. I am currently playing the role of mega donk-DERB(Doesnt ever run bad)....I will learn to become more disaplined with time...

[ QUOTE ]
With three opponents in I wouldn't bother pushing a 97 with two draws left, youll get called down.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I usually do think when I am pretty sure they are drwaing two going into the second draw. Is this really bad?

I have also drawn up this new 'theory' that in multi-way pots you dont need as big of a hand to win. I kind feel like all the cards are gone and often times weaker holding with win at the showdown. I obviously have only been playing this game for like two weeks though...so I probably have no f'in clue. Please correct me.

[ QUOTE ]
I remember one other 87 hand that you played that I found kind of interesting but I fcked up and didn't turn on UH, oops.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont remember and I dont know what UH is. Who are you again? That was definitly me in the .5-1 game today. Ill probably be there agin tommorow...!! hint hint....free dinero. I have been 'playing the rush' lately so I am sure I have been making a TON of very suspect plays that even a novice like me would know are very poor situations. Like how when its folded to me I open with all sorts of junk. 865,654, just random bs. Im running good though! Its hard not to play like that...

If you played with me tonight I am sure you saw the five or six times when I called on the end with just random bs. It was really quite pathetic.

timprov 09-19-2005 12:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think I called bets post draw at last five or six times today with hands I had no business calling bets with.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm looking over the session we played on Thursday and if anything it seems you're folding too easily postflop. I suppose it's possible you're calling too much in the round before.

For instance, two blind defense hands I saw: one you called a 3-bet from the BB and one you coolcalled a raise from the SB. In both cases you drew two and folded to a single bet on the second round, with no reason to expect a raise behind you. Either the predraw call or the postdraw fold must be incorrect.

I'm also somewhat confused by your 3-bet/second-round call/third-round fold in #8369047-374. The same line in #8369047-386 is more reasonable as you might suspect a raise was coming from me behind you, though the pot was pretty darned big.

#8369047-352 would be reasonable in a bigger game where you could get headsup and hope your T8 held up, but our opponent was possibly the biggest calling station of the TD regulars, so it's not such a good idea.

timprov 09-19-2005 12:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Quite drunk but I don't get this, do you mean drawing 1 to 8572x, and you'd draw to it in position but not OOP?

[/ QUOTE ]

That is to say, if I'm dealt 8752x and end up HU in position, I will just about always draw 1. If I'm out of position or multiway, drawing two to 752 begins to look more attractive.

DeadMoneyOC 09-19-2005 12:43 AM

That makes a TON of sense to me! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

dibbs 09-19-2005 12:44 AM

What I thought hehe, thanks.