Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Shorthanded (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   88 -- Bet the damn river? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=339209)

Nick C 09-18-2005 02:48 AM

88 -- Bet the damn river?

This table was full when I joined it, but then people began leaving one after another, and by the time the big blind got back to me I was also the Button and playing heads-up.

I didn't know my opponent very well, though I had played at 3/6 full with him before, where his stats were 9/6/2.75 (but after only 54 hands). Heads-up against me at 5/10, he wasn't as tight, and his numbers for the session were 33/24/4.25 for 42 hands.

Anyway, while I was playing this hand, I told myself I should bet the river. But then I didn't. And I'm wondering what you think.

I'm also kind of wondering what kind of hand range my play up until the river represented. (Prior to last night, I had never played heads-up at 5/10 before.)

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (2 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, SB calls.

Flop: (6 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, SB calls.

Turn: (6 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls.

River: (8 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 8 BB

aslowjoe 09-18-2005 03:20 AM

Re: 88 -- Bet the damn river?

What did you put him after the flop. A draw a 9 and maybe with your strong play he thought you had a big pair. I guess also with his kind of aggresion he could A5-6 maybe a low pocket pair. His draw didnt come. I guess it should be made but is thin. Likely he was drawing and he wont be calling anyway. The only likely losing hand for you if he holds a 9. So minimal risk with a 1 BB reward

Evan 09-18-2005 03:23 AM

People do really goofy [censored] heads up. He could have a ton of hands that you beat and be very willing to pay off. I'd bet.

09-18-2005 03:26 AM

I definitely bet here. There are just too many times heads up you are ahead and he will call you with a lot of dif hands.

Nick C 09-18-2005 03:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What did you put him after the flop. A draw a 9 and maybe with your strong play he thought you had a big pair. I guess also with his kind of aggresion he could A5-6 maybe a low pocket pair.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasn't really sure what he had, but everything you mention seems possible. I also thought he might just have something like AT.

When he checkraised the flop, I suspected that he was trying to push me off of overcards with a flop checkraise and turn lead.