Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   AJ when do you lay down top 2 pair (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=336597)

09-14-2005 10:45 AM

AJ when do you lay down top 2 pair

I have A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
Limp for $1, Villain raises to $3, Button calls, BB calls, I call.

Flop: A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Pot size: $15
I lead for $10, Villain calls, everyone folds.

Turn: 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Pot size: $35
I bet $15, Villain raises to $30, I call.

River: Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Pot size: $95
I check, Villain bets $27, I call.

Villain shows: 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
Wins $150 with trip 9's.

Question: Did I play wrong? Should I lay down on the turn? River?

09-14-2005 11:16 AM

Re: AJ when do you lay down top 2 pair

What is your opps position? You should lay down pre-flop. You are dominated or are a coin-flip by any hand that would normally raise here. Don't call OOP raises with AJ or AQos unless you know your opp is a loose aggressive player who will raise weaker hands with limpers ahead.

aces_full 09-14-2005 11:17 AM

How many players in the hand? Any limpers in before you? I'm wondering why you didn't bring AJ in for a raise instead of limping? Once you limped though, I think you have to fold to a raise.

Anyway, I don't think I could get away from top two pair unless the board contains an obvious straight or flushes. Without a read I'm going to get broke against a set.

09-14-2005 03:52 PM

I don't bring it for a raise because it's 10ppl, I'm in EP. I call the $2 raise because there's so much multi-way action and a raise like that could mean AJ, KQ, KJ, AK, 88-AA, AQ. If I hit an A I'm a good enough player to get away unharmed. If I hit 2 pair though...

Stacks are about $100 everyone

ajmargarine 09-14-2005 04:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
AJ when do you lay down top 2 pair

Question: Did I play wrong? Should I lay down on the turn? River?

[/ QUOTE ]

Although I am the forum expert on two pair type hands, you probably don't have to address your threads to me specifically. Often others will have something of substance to add.

I don't mind limping with Ace-Jack like you did. I limp my pp's and need to add a few hands to limp to throw off any of the smart players at the table. I would probably (stubbornly) call the PFR also. I think you played the hand very well getting to showdown and losing less than many players would have lost.

09-14-2005 04:59 PM

folding pre-flop first of all.

Now you are in this [censored] let see.

you have bet 10$ on flop and your vilain call.
humm
no flush, no straight for sure !

how about on turn betting 2/3(arround 23) of the pot if he reraise, you can fold, he evantually prob beat 2 pair.
Ask you how a 3 of club may have improve his hand ?.

with a Q on the river i check and fold on a bet !

i have lead the pot with a good betting all the way long if he bet and dont care about my reraise on the river i think im dead!