Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Shorthanded (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   AK pairs on scary board. Lots of action, what do I do? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=335552)

Moozh 09-12-2005 11:39 PM

AK pairs on scary board. Lots of action, what do I do?

I think I might have the best hand here, but it's marginal at best with a flop like this. people love to play any two broadways. The action shows I might be behind already, and if I am, I have to be drawing nearly dead. If I call, it's very possible it will be capped behind me, but can I fold this? What's my plan from here?

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls, MP calls, Button calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG calls, MP calls, Button calls.

Flop: (8.33 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, Hero is clueless

ArturiusX 09-12-2005 11:45 PM

Re: AK pairs on scary board. Lots of action, what do I do?

I sometimes like to cap here, and see what that does to the action. Most of the time, both the raisers get freaked out, and turn to calling down. If they had a hand that beats you, they'll let you know on the turn if you decide to cap this flop, and you can fold it then.

We still have outs too vs a set and two pair, so I can't see us folding just yet.

jph0424 09-12-2005 11:48 PM

If you think you still may be ahead against these guys cap the flop. I could easily see you being against 2 hands like KQ and QJ here. Lead on a blank turn and call a raise. Even if you are up against two pair you have outs.

RunDownHouse 09-12-2005 11:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Even if you are up against two pair you have outs.

[/ QUOTE ]
You have no where near 5 outs here.

I can't decide if I like calling and check/reevaluating the turn or capping and leading. Reads would be really, really nice, and I can't believe the two lines I mentioned are close, since there's a 1.5BB difference in them.

Moozh 09-13-2005 12:27 AM

Yes, reads are good. I was curious to see what the general play would be here. So far it seems cap. So, the reads:

UTG - Loose/Passive (51/16/.6)
MP - Loose (65/9/1.5)
Button - Loose (43/3/1) [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

ArturiusX 09-13-2005 12:29 AM

Button isn't passive with a 1 aggression rating if he's playing 43 hands. I'd say closer to neutral.

Moozh 09-13-2005 02:40 AM

Ok, Hero caps, UTG folds and MP and Button both call.

Turn comes A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], you are first to act. Now what?

exist 09-13-2005 02:45 AM

bet.

Moozh 09-13-2005 03:09 AM

Where the hell have you been?

admiralfluff 09-13-2005 03:23 AM

I would certainly cap here, as there is a reasonable chance of knocking out UTG. I think you are decently behind at this point, but probably have around 15-25% equity. Factor in the chance it gets capped anyways when UTG gets trapped in the pot, and I think the extra equity you buy from UTG may be worth it. I can't see you getting away from this hand easily on the turn UI, so I don't really know how I fell about leading a blank turn. Against some passive opponents, a flop cap and turn check can actually buy a free look at the river from better hands, as they will often fear a c/r. I would want solid specific postflop reads before doing this, but if I knew both opponents were very passive, and could be scared into calldown mode easily, and I knew that button would not 3-bet the flop with a hand I beat, I might check the turn, expecting to see it check through often. (I would also need to comfortable enough with my reads to check-fold the river if button bet the turn, and I did not hit my straight on the river).