Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   I'm a donkey who overplays aces (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=335062)

Proofrock 09-12-2005 12:44 PM

I\'m a donkey who overplays aces

Something tells me I should consider releasing aces here. If so, how soon should I drop them? If not, how should I have played them?

PokerStars 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 caps</font>, MP2 folds, Hero calls.

Flop: (12.33 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (9.16 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (11.16 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 13.16 BB

-cj

Bodhi 09-12-2005 12:53 PM

Re: I\'m a donkey who overplays aces

I think MP1 has KK, but you can't read him with 90% certainty for a big full house, so you played it correctly. Also, looking for places to make an 'expert' fold with AA is a really bad idea.

crunchy1 09-12-2005 01:01 PM

Given that its HU from the point where Villian caps PF I think you're going to showdown here. Of course, a lot depends on the read of your opponent - and whether or not your table image is relevant. The only other line I see against an unknown is to call down after the flop. This line loses the least when Hero is behind and keeps Villian putting bets in the pot when Villian is behind.

W. Deranged 09-12-2005 01:05 PM

You played this fine... realize that one the flop, there is not way to assure villain has KK or another set instead of AK or QQ or something like that. Hence the flop three-bet should not be nearly enough to encourage a fold.

If you are looking to find a fold here, it should be after you've at least put some more pressure on. Maybe if you raise the turn and get three-bet, I can find a fold, but:

Raising the turn and folding to a three-bet costs the same as going to showdown.

Proofrock 09-12-2005 02:06 PM

Re: So I\'m not a donkey who overplays aces?

So judging from the responses this was the right speed to play aces here. That surprises me a little (I just figured I was dead on that flop to everything but AK -- QQ doesn't three-bet the flop I don't think), but I guess I only put in 3.5 BB from the flop on, so it isn't terrible. I didn't include any reads or history in the original post -- how is my decision affected if Villain's stats are something like 18/9/1, and I've only seen him cap preflop so far with AQs, AKs, AA and KK? Same line?

-cj

bakku 09-12-2005 02:14 PM

Re: So I\'m not a donkey who overplays aces?

[ QUOTE ]
I didn't include any reads or history in the original post -- how is my decision affected if Villain's stats are something like 18/9/1, and I've only seen him cap preflop so far with AQs, AKs, AA and KK? Same line?

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm just calling down. a player read is really important in determining how i play this flop. if i have no read im inclined to just call down

droolie 09-12-2005 04:39 PM

You didn't overplay this. You will lose this hand to a FH quite often but if you never fold AA HU you aren't giving up much. You will see all kinds of crap enough to make this calldown profitable.

@bsolute_luck 09-12-2005 05:44 PM

anyone NOT like the flop raise? there are too many hands we are way behind here.

dblgutshot 09-12-2005 06:57 PM

Not really overplaying it at all.

damaniac 09-12-2005 06:59 PM

I think villain has AK quite a bit, QQ is entirely possible too (he has an OESD), so I think you have to put at least one raise in.