Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   One-table Tournaments (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   New $5+.50 player (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=334652)

09-11-2005 09:02 PM

New $5+.50 player

(I have read the FAQ's, but this is only my 2nd post. Please be nice [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

My current bankroll is around $55. I don't really want to go through the hassle of depositing more through neteller, but I really want to try some STT's (As opposed to the $1+.20 45 person MTT's I am currently running.) I Have about 200 $1's under my belt, and this took me from $35 to $55.

I don't have poker tracker, but I have recorded some results in a spreadsheet. I have a pretty good grasp of pot odds, Fold Equity, and when to start "Pushbotting".

If anyone has experience going from $1 to $5, or general experience with $5's, I would love to hear from you. Any other missing information you might need, please ask.

Thanks for all your kind replies [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

mlagoo 09-11-2005 09:07 PM

Re: New $5+.50 player

push preflop

bawcerelli 09-11-2005 09:36 PM

don't play turbo's

09-11-2005 10:00 PM

Tight early, push late. Don't be afraid to fold a good hand if there's a good chance you're beat. Listen to the warning bells and take their chips later. Discretion is the better part of valor.

cha59 09-11-2005 10:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Tight early, push late. Don't be afraid to fold a good hand if there's a good chance you're beat. Listen to the warning bells and take their chips later. Discretion is the better part of valor.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is good general strategy.

If you really want to keep getting better, read this forum a lot, and post interesting hands here.

unreal_nh 09-11-2005 10:20 PM

these might help you...

Link 1

Link 2

crew 09-11-2005 10:45 PM

Read those links, and other posts, in order to improve your game. In terms of bankroll, you definitely have the risk of ruin with only a 11 buy in roll. If you play goot, you will be okay. The play quality will be as bad as you can imagine.

09-11-2005 11:40 PM

I've actually already seen those links, thanks for the repost though. I guess I'll give a few a try, see how it goes.

With my BR, how many SNG's can I safely play, then call it quits? I'm guessing play 4-5 to gauge how I stack up to the general playerbase?

ThrillFactor 09-12-2005 12:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've actually already seen those links, thanks for the repost though. I guess I'll give a few a try, see how it goes.

With my BR, how many SNG's can I safely play, then call it quits? I'm guessing play 4-5 to gauge how I stack up to the general playerbase?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're here, and you've looked around, and you have just a basic understanding of the concepts you listed in your original post, then you're lightyears ahead of the general playerbase.

But do yourself a favor and deposit $100. With just 10 buy-ins you're going to be scared money and so risk-adverse on the bubble that you're going to need the deck to run over you to see any kind of return.

JGlo 09-12-2005 12:31 AM

If you have any basic understanding of the game, which it sounds like you do, you will be fine in the $5 SNGs. I have found that it goes something like this....

$5 sng - 4 people at the table have some idea of what they are doing. They just have to avoid the bad beat from a donk at the table and compete with each other to get ITM.

$10 sng - 5 people

$20 sng - 6 people

Play tight early on, when you catch a hand, bust'em because they will call anything at the $5.