Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Micro-Limits (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   So I hit my pair, now what? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=333886)

DavidC 09-10-2005 03:30 PM

So I hit my pair, now what?

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is UTG with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">6 folds</font>.

Flop: (7.50 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 raises</font>, MP1 folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (5.75 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

-------------

Villains were 2x LPP. This particular villain (the remaining one) has an agression of 1, vpip of like 40 and pfr of maybe 4-5.

09-10-2005 03:31 PM

Re: So I hit my pair, now what?

Bet turn and river call down if raised.

09-10-2005 03:33 PM

Bet turn and river, unless a diamond falls, then you call down.

Fantam 09-10-2005 03:56 PM

I think that you have a choice between betting the turn, or attempting a check-raise.

I think that I would prefer to bet the turn. Then if UTG raised again, I would call down in case he was overplaying a weaker pair. You would also have outs against 2 pair.

I think that check raising the turn might scare UTG off if he had a weaker hand than yours. Also check/raising would be expensive if you were behind to a better hand like a set.

MrWookie47 09-10-2005 03:59 PM

Put me in the betting camp.

NobodysFreak 09-10-2005 04:04 PM

Bet the turn. If you get raised, I'm going into call down mode.

DavidC 09-10-2005 05:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Bet the turn. If you get raised, I'm going into call down mode.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for your imput, guys.

Here's my problem. I think that either this guy has somethign like A8 or TT, or he has something like 88, but I don't think that he has something like 85 or 53.

Now, if he had a 70% vpip, then sure, what the hell, but he's at 40%, so he's playing "most reasonable hands, and some that aren't", but not "any two".

Christ, I raised: this guy could have QQ. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

---

What happened in the hand is that I checkraised the turn and called down vs a three-bet, which is a garbage line.

I think checkraising and folding to a three-bet is such a rotten play for your image, that donking here is the correct play.

Once you donk, there's three (reasonable) ways to respond to a raise:

1) Fold.

2) Call, and fold the river unimproved.

3) Call, and call the river unimproved.

#3 seems to be the standard line.

Are lines #1 and #2 completely too weak?

Just curious.

NobodysFreak 09-10-2005 05:37 PM

I think one and two are more situation and player dependent. If a river card comes that looks like it completes a large set of hands and my opponent is rather passive post-flop, I don't think I'd have a problem folding even to a check-raised 3-bet. #3 would probably be my most likely choice against any random opponent with no reads.

Aaron W. 09-10-2005 05:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What happened in the hand is that I checkraised the turn and called down vs a three-bet, which is a garbage line.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just don't check-raise this turn against passive players. It's that simple. You make yourself sick to the stomach when villain 3-bets you because it's hard to get away from your hand. You also shut down some passive villains even when they have a better hand than yours.

Bet-call. Check-call. Show down your hand.