Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Science, Math, and Philosophy (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Is happyness an additive property? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=333204)

Warren Whitmore 09-09-2005 01:45 PM

Is happyness an additive property?

Warren Buffett argues quite convicingly that it is. Benjamin Franklin equally convincingly that it is not.
any thoughts.

KeysrSoze 09-09-2005 01:49 PM

Re: Is happyness an additive property?

Sure, why not? I know some people who are equally addicted to complete misery.

Georgia Avenue 09-09-2005 03:01 PM

Either you are jopking or you didn't realize that WW was talking about the Utilitarian concept of using human emotions in a Hedonic Calculus to determine one's actions. It's sophistry if you ask me, as propounded by, as mentioned, the Eudemonist humbug-merchant Jimmy Buffet.

09-09-2005 03:30 PM

Enjoy your intellectual masturbation. Such a question is rather pointless since happiness cannot be measured (or often even defined) objectively. If item/situation/condition A makes me X happy, does 1000 of these make me 1000X happy? Who cares.

chezlaw 09-09-2005 03:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Enjoy your intellectual masturbation. Such a question is rather pointless since happiness cannot be measured (or often even defined) objectively. If item/situation/condition A makes me X happy, does 1000 of these make me 1000X happy? Who cares.

[/ QUOTE ]

That would be no, then?

chez

09-09-2005 04:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That would be no, then?

chez

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll stick with "who cares".

Jordan Olsommer 09-09-2005 06:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Either you are jopking or you didn't realize that WW was talking about the Utilitarian concept of using human emotions in a Hedonic Calculus to determine one's actions. It's sophistry if you ask me, as propounded by, as mentioned, the Eudemonist humbug-merchant Jimmy Buffet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe most psychological research suggests that this isn't true at all. We seem to judge experiences by Kahneman's Peak-end rule, not by the formula "sum(happiness) - sum(awfulness)". Oddly enough, one of the studies that corrobrated this theory consisted of sticking a camera up people's asses for varying lengths of time.

benkahuna 09-10-2005 02:24 AM

It is, but only so economists can make sense and apply the idea in nonsensical ways.