Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Multi-table Tournaments (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Small Blind Considerations/Scenarios (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=333130)

zoobird 09-09-2005 11:27 AM

Small Blind Considerations/Scenarios

There have been a couple posts this week about playing from the small blind, but not a lot of response. Nobody responded to my question about a K9s hand, and only exitonly responded to someone elses post about another weak small blind hand. With relatively large stacks and small blinds, how do people play in the small blind with at least one limper ahead of you? What hands would you limp with vs. fold? How is this affected by number of limpers? What else do you consider? Just to give some specific scenarios to discuss: Assume blinds of 25/50, everyone has stacks between 1500 - 3000 for all of these:
1. You have K9s, 4 limpers.
2. You have K5o, 4 limpers.
3. You have 43s, 4 limpers.
4. You have K9s, 1 limper.
5. You have K5o, 1 limper.
6. You have 43s, 1 limper.

Lloyd 09-09-2005 01:48 PM

Re: Small Blind Considerations/Scenarios

I think the reason why you're not getting any answers to these and other similar questions is because they are just too vague with too many possibilities. I can limp with all of those, muck with all of those, and raise with all of those at any moment based on the table conditions.

fnurt 09-09-2005 01:56 PM

At the 25-50 level, I wouldn't mind playing any of these. With only 1 limper, you have good steal equity postflop with any 2 cards, and with 4 limpers, you have incredible pot odds, even with K5o. All of this is dependent upon being a good postflop player, because you have the worst position.

Firefly 09-09-2005 01:58 PM

Lloyd is right, these are very general, but for me i'd
1)Limp- suited king, 6-way pot count me in
2)Fold- K5o is trash, suited i'd play
3)Limp- suited connector, i'm down
4)Limp- I'd fire at alot of flops depending on texture and reads on limper
5)Fold-unless you think you can take the pot away pre or post flop
6) Fold- same as above

Lloyd 09-09-2005 02:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
and with 4 limpers, you have incredible pot odds, even with K5o.

[/ QUOTE ]
You might have great implied odds but you really don't have incredible pot odds. I did a calculation once and I think the odds of making any sort of strong hand with something like K5 was around 12 or 13 to 1. You really don't want to commit many chips (if at all) with top pair no kicker against 5 other opponents and it's not often you hit 2 pair, trips, etc. I'm not saying I wouldn't complete but it's a really tricky situation.

fnurt 09-09-2005 02:05 PM

Yeah, I didn't mean to confuse the two terms. Your odds of flopping 2 pair or better are something like 25 to 1. When the pot is already laying me 9 to 1 before the flop my assumption is that I'll have no problem picking up the implied odds.

Even if you promise yourself you will never, ever bet out with top pair no kicker, you will also pick up scenarios where it is checked around on the flop, then you make a hand on the turn, etc...