Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Israel World Cup Qualifying (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=331634)

KJS 09-07-2005 02:15 PM

Israel World Cup Qualifying

Why does Israel play in the European Group for World Cup Qualifying?

KJS

Voltron87 09-07-2005 02:22 PM

Re: Israel World Cup Qualifying

I'm guessing it has something to do with it being a logistical and security nightmare for them to play actual neighboring countries. It wouldn't work out well. That's an understatement.

Michael Davis 09-07-2005 05:26 PM

Yeah, exactly. Turkey also plays in Europe for the same reasons. How many road games do you think Israel could play in their region before all their players are dead?

-Michael

RRRRICK 09-07-2005 06:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, exactly. Turkey also plays in Europe for the same reasons. How many road games do you think Israel could play in their region before all their players are dead?

-Michael

[/ QUOTE ]

3 maybe 4

valenzuela 09-07-2005 07:14 PM

Nations like Turkey and Israel are much better off on the UEFA because they can play european club competion and they can attemp qualifing to the Euro Cup.

valenzuela 09-07-2005 07:30 PM

I dont mean to come like a total jackass here.
There is something called continental football federation.
We have 6 federations.
Each federation has...
Club competition.
Country competion.
Qualifying competion.

The more apropiate question would be why are Israel and Turkey on the UEFA? I think voltron and my previous post sum it up.
In general terms we can say: Easier to qualify for world cup= Lesser international club competiton.( this isnt good of course)
For instance we have two cases:
USA: They always qulaify but have no meaningful international club competition( i also mentioned this on anthr post)
Norway: They qualify like half of the time, but theyre clubs are playing with manchester united, bayern munich and real madrid instead of playing against some costa rican team that nobody cares about.
So even though Israel would already be on the WC if they played on Asia , Maccabi Haifa would have to settle playing against Yokohama instead. Not to mention theyre team would highly risk themselves.

KJS 09-07-2005 07:30 PM

The other teams in their geographic region would love to have that same opportunity.

The security reasons make sense. The reason you give here is advantageous to them, and in turn, disadvantageous for the national and club teams in their same region.

KJS

Victor 09-07-2005 09:39 PM

the correct reason is bc many arab nations in their vicinity simply refuse to play israel and would boycott any games.

valenzuela 09-08-2005 07:02 PM

Dude...Azerbaijan isnt precisely european and yet theyre playing on an UEFA team( I can name like 7 asian countires who are part of the UEFA)

cdxx 09-08-2005 10:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]

-Michael

[/ QUOTE ]

they would get an honorary (if not post-humous) WC berth just for showing up to one road game.