Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Micro-Limits (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Hand buddy said he "played perfect", I think it was all wrong (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=331472)

K_Hunter 09-07-2005 10:35 AM

Hand buddy said he \"played perfect\", I think it was all wrong

My buddy was in the BB with [ Td, Th ]. I folded and he later told me he thought he played this hand just about perfect. This is my history file but should work fine.
No reads on others, button was a semi-loose raiser (88, A5s, etc) if he had position.

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls (with 10 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]), UTG+1 calls, MP3 calls.

I would have re-raised to try and get heads up with the raiser and to make him think I am on a big pocket pair.

Flop: (8.50 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, MP3 folds, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, UTG+1 calls, Button calls.

I sort of like the check-raise but I would have probably bet out.

Turn: (7.25 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, Button folds.

Bet is fine.

River: (9.25 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, BB calls.

I would have check-called. I don't think you will get a call by anything that you can beat and you are going to get raised if he has the ace.

Final Pot: 13.25 BB

davelin 09-07-2005 10:38 AM

Re: Hand buddy said he \"played perfect\", I think it was all wrong

He butchered pre-flop and flop.

Edit - the way he played pre-flop, the flop is fine.

Rev. Good Will 09-07-2005 10:40 AM

yeah, def 3bet PF cause of the large range of hands villian has right now (that we're beating of course)

I prefer betting out on this semi-cooridinated board, not to mention overcards we need to dodge.(EDIT -in other words the C/R blows cause we don't want to trap peeps... I should write smaller responses a la davelin)

I think your buddy's river play was standard

Redd 09-07-2005 10:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
He butchered pre-flop and flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

DeathDonkey 09-07-2005 10:44 AM

Flop is fine, river is the worst street.

-DeathDonkey

Rev. Good Will 09-07-2005 10:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]

-DeathDonkey

[/ QUOTE ]

what line do you suggest here on the river?

davelin 09-07-2005 10:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

-DeathDonkey

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm...I think bet/fold over check/call IMO. I'm rusty.

Rev. Good Will 09-07-2005 10:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

-DeathDonkey

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm...I think bet/fold over check/call. These are tough situations IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

thats what I was thinking too, I think it is a must to bet this river

09-07-2005 10:51 AM

I think he played it pretty well.

On the flop, I think he should try to get others to fold here with his vulnerable hand, and the check-raise strategy looked like a good way to accomplish it. My plan would have been, in this good-sized pot, to check and hope it checks through to the button who would bet, then I would check-raise, forcing others to call two bets and likely fold. As it worked out, UTG foiled that by betting, making others call a single bet twice, thus it was less likely those in between would fold.

You raise a good point on the river. I like your reasoning, and follow it often. However, I think a bet is also a reasonable play (arguably not "perfect") because UTG might have a pair lower than TT that he would call a bet with, but check if checked through (or maybe even raise with -- isn't hindsight great [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]).

POST-GRUNCH: I'm surprised some are in favor of a bet/fold here. Pot odds are 11.25-to-1 at the time he is making the call or fold decision on the river. Doesn't BB have the best hand more than 1 in 11.25 times here? I would think UTG has a pair lower than TT enough here to warrant a call by BB (his pre-flop call and flop bet indicate possible 88 to me). As for his river raise, I agree there's a good chance UTG is best, but, again, I think UTG raises here enough with a lower pair to make a call correct by BB.

car ramrod 09-07-2005 10:51 AM

I would think bet/fold.