Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Multi-table Tournaments (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Boring hand, Pre-Flop strategy check. (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=330353)

Kirkrrr 09-05-2005 08:49 PM

Boring hand, Pre-Flop strategy check.

Beginning of Stars $20+2 MTT. 700 entered, most of us are still there. Blinds 10/20.
Everybody is an unknown, no reads.

I'm in MP2 and look at TT.
2 Folds, MP1 limps in, I raise to t60(probably should have been more), CO re-raises to t180 (t30 behind!), Button calls and is All-In, Blinds fold.

MP1 hesitates, then calls. I push for another t1400. MP1 has me slightly covered so there's going to be about t1700 in the sidepot.

Good? Bad? Standard?
Sorry, I know not a very exciting hand, but wanted to see if my PF reasoning was there or if I'm off. Or way off.

Kirk

09-05-2005 09:28 PM

Re: Boring hand, Pre-Flop strategy check.

While tens are strong, I usually call with them pre-flop early in an MTT hoping for a set or a low flop. I'd also call a small raise with them. I wouldn't call those all ins. With that much action, someone's bound to have JJ-AA.

quarkncover 09-05-2005 09:40 PM

If my math is right kirk you are getting almost 5-1 on your money if you call here. There is only 580 in the main pot and you have 2 players essentially all-in.

If you succeed in this "isolation" play so you have a 3-way all-in as opposed to a 4-way all-in; you still are very likely up against as many as 4 overcards, 12 cards over five cards that ruin your pocket pair. Using poker stove your TT against three RANDOM hands only will only win about 57% of the time.

Against four random hands TT will only win about 45% of the time. Remember these are RANDOM hands, when I put in ranges that your opponents are likely to have your equity is much lower, usually around the 20%-30% range.

I think this is an exciting hand! But by pushing preflop you destroyed your hands potential. Call when your getting a great price and proceed after the flop, you have plenty of chips. By pushing preflop your actually helping your all-in opponents! TT maybe pretty but tread lightly.

What is your reason for pushing preflop?

Kirkrrr 09-06-2005 03:52 AM

I think you completely misread my original post. I was practically the only one raising, everyone else is calling.
Plus, I knew that MP1 did not have an overpair and was sitting on overcards at best, or a lower PP.

Kirk

Kirkrrr 09-06-2005 04:13 AM

Okay, here's what went through my mind:

CO and Button were more or less total donks and did not concern me very much. The only player I was really watching was MP1, and from the way he limped in, then called the re-raise I knew he either has just overcards or possibly a PP lower than mine, with JJ being the only possibility where I was behind. So if I push and he folds, I am in with the best hand and getting a great overlay from MP1's dead money (for the record, I am not expecting him to call). If he calls, I'm either way ahead or it's a coinflip which, in the very beginning of a tourney with 700 players still to go, I have no problem taking.

My goal is to either build a stack early on that allows me to play my normal style, or get out before I invest much more time.

Kirk

Blindcurve 09-06-2005 04:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Plus, I knew that MP1 did not have an overpair and was sitting on overcards at best, or a lower PP

[/ QUOTE ]

I think your line is ok. I don't think you "know" this; I do think it's unlikely he has an overpair. I think the push is good knowing that if he calls you're at least a flip and there will be a decent sidepot. If he folds, you've effectively eliminated the guy who can break you and the short stacks might have made semi-desperate plays, or have duplicate overcards.

I don't know if it's standard, but I think it'll work.

FOITNOF,

-D.