Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Poker Theory (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   How to play this nut flush draw (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=330032)

09-05-2005 11:00 AM

How to play this nut flush draw

In my local 1-2NL cash game I ran upon this hand. First I'll preface everything by saying that people in this game can play any two cards limping in and sometimes w/ raises.

anyway, I was in LP and limped w/ K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] after several limpers. I know, bad play but I digress. BB raises to 10straight, all but one calls including me. 6way pot. typical preflop. So $62 in pot(sb folded on raise).

Flop comes A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Super tight player checks, but obviously hit. Loose player makes it $15 and 2 callers, then I call and then tight player raises $50. I put him on AQ as he would of raised $100 w/ QQ or AA. Original bettor folds to me, one person left to act behind me who is obviously folding. $173 in pot including $50 raise.

I have $183 left in front of me and raiser has 3-4hundred. What's the proper play.

Percussion 09-05-2005 11:22 AM

Re: How to play this nut flush draw

call, then check/call, or check/fold turn if the bet is too big to get the right pot odds

Wake up CALL 09-05-2005 05:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In my local 1-2NL cash game I ran upon this hand. First I'll preface everything by saying that people in this game can play any two cards limping in and sometimes w/ raises.

anyway, I was in LP and limped w/ K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] after several limpers. I know, bad play but I digress. BB raises to 10straight, all but one calls including me. 6way pot. typical preflop. So $62 in pot(sb folded on raise).

Flop comes A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Super tight player checks, but obviously hit. Loose player makes it $15 and 2 callers, then I call and then tight player raises $50. I put him on AQ as he would of raised $100 w/ QQ or AA. Original bettor folds to me, one person left to act behind me who is obviously folding. $173 in pot including $50 raise.

I have $183 left in front of me and raiser has 3-4hundred. What's the proper play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Either your pot calculations are incorrect or your description of the action is incorrect. If you will make the needed corrections the right decision will become more clear.

Leo Bello 09-05-2005 06:06 PM

SB 1 + BB 2, five limpers 2 + 2 + 2 + 2 + 2, SB completes +1 total until now. 14. BB raises to 10. five people enter so 48 more. Until now 48 + 14 = 62.
On flop 15 + 15 + 15 + 15 + 50 = 62 +110 = 172... you are right, the pot has 172 instead of 173...

Wake up CALL 09-05-2005 06:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
SB 1 + BB 2, five limpers 2 + 2 + 2 + 2 + 2, SB completes +1 total until now. 14. BB raises to 10. five people enter so 48 more. Until now 48 + 14 = 62.
On flop 15 + 15 + 15 + 15 + 50 = 62 +110 = 172... you are right, the pot has 172 instead of 173...

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasn't trying to pick nits but you also wrote there was yet another player behind you left to act after the tight players raise although he was also likely to fold. This information does not make the numbers add up correctly which is why I asked for clarification.

EDITED BELOW:

Heck, you aren't even the initial poster!! Why am I listening to you? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

spaminator101 09-05-2005 06:33 PM

easy call

Wake up CALL 09-05-2005 06:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
easy call

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree the initial call is easy, I wanted to offer some correct advise on how to play the hand out. I'd probably smooth call and come out betting my $133 on the turn no matter what came unless the board paired. This at least gives the tight player a chance to fold and you at the very least have a redraw to the nut flush if he does call the turn bet. What I would not want to do is be put into the position of check calling my $133 if the turn is a brick.

09-05-2005 11:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
easy call

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree the initial call is easy, I wanted to offer some correct advise on how to play the hand out. I'd probably smooth call and come out betting my $133 on the turn no matter what came unless the board paired. This at least gives the tight player a chance to fold and you at the very least have a redraw to the nut flush if he does call the turn bet. What I would not want to do is be put into the position of check calling my $133 if the turn is a brick.

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand that the opponent is a tight player, but if you accurately read him for AQ, what hand could he fold to on the turn? Unless he thinks you're the type of player to smooth call PF with QQ or AA, he must realistically have the winning hand. The only exception would be if the turn brought a diamond, making your flush draw. The expressed odds here don't completely justify a call, but I think with the implied odds this is a fairly easy call. You might, however, be forced to throw away your hand on the turn if it is of no help, unless you get the right odds again.

09-06-2005 07:09 AM

Actually, I think the expressed odds do justify this call.

09-06-2005 10:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
thanks Leo for the correction. 172 is correct as is your account of action.

to finish the account...

Well I made the donkey move. I went all in over the top. I percieved that because of his tightness that if I went all in on the flop he might of folded, perhaps 40% of the time expecting a set. He even berated himself saying that I had a set. After much deliberation he called.

I've been beating myself up for this move ever since I did it and since no one has offered this as a possibe move, I guess I'm right for beating myself up, lol.

thanks guys for the advice.